Who should name the baby?

I want to name the baby after my father and my husband is totally against it. My father is a great person and my husband gets along fine with him. I am very close to my father for many reasons and think it is a great way to honor him...also, he happily raised three daughters all by himself...no sons. My husband only says that he is totally against using my father's name b/c it would be "weird" and thinks that any man would not want to do that esp. since my father is still alive. BTW - Our first son is named after my husband (and his father). We've fought about this issue many times and I don't know what to do! Neither of us want to budge. Is it too much to ask for? Is this a guy thing? Or is my husband being too stubborn?? Any thoughts/advice/points of view will be appreciated!

CSUZANNE813

Asked by CSUZANNE813 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• This is just one of those things you have to compromise on when your a couple and have kids together. One of MANY things, as I'm sure you know! IMO, I think it should be a joint decision.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He's being weird. I think that's nice that you want to name him after your father. I could see if he hated the name, not wanting to go that route, but it sounds like it's more than that. Why would it be weird to name him after your dad?? Hmm. I'd ask him what's REALLY bugging him about it. I think there's more to it than he's telling you. Maybe a pride thing that he has a boy named after him, and that would somehow diminish that in his mind?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I got lucky...I am pregnant with my 3rd and my fiance and I pretty much agreed on names from the get go. What about try negotiating..such as if you want the baby to be named after your father, what if you suggest it to be his middle name?
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 9:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Your husband is just being stubborn, and he shouldn't assume that any man wouldn't because my husband and I have discussed naming our 2nd son after my father since our first is named after him and his father. He really should compromise, it's not a guy thing...it's a your husband thing.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• What about giving your dad's name as the middle or using your dad's initials? Is there another name that is derived form your dad's name you could agree on?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• YOu have a child named after your dh and his dad already. So Im not sure why he would be so against honoring your father in this way. Sounds like he is being stuburn, ask him if he would consider using your fathers name as the middle name. Ultimatley its up to whoever fills out the birth certificate which would more than likley be you. However that could cause some problems if your dh dosent agree. I think youre dad sounds awesome and this would be so nice. I hope your dh comes around.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well I think that you both should get one of the names! either you pick the first name then he get to pick the middle name!
    I guess in that since we got lucky, with having triplets, he name one I name one then we agree on one name!
    GL
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Could you use your fathers name as a middle name?? Or tell him its really special to you?? Maybe he could pick the middle ame and you could use your dad's name for the first!!
    My boyfriend didn't want to name our twins after MY side of the familyy. His sister's name is Graccie, and she died a couple years ago. My step brother liked jazz and use to say he was like Ray the jazz singer!! My step brother died last year/.

We ended up naming our daughters Gracilyn and Raelyn. Rae for my brother and Gracie for his sister!! It was a win-win!
    GraciesMommy464

Answer by GraciesMommy464 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think you husband is being stubborn especially in already having the first son named after him and his dad.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I say ask your dad, if he is fine with it, then your husband has no ground to stand on.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011