S/O- Pepper spray ?

If its ok with alot of you for the cop to pepper spray the kid who is out of control what if it was the mamma or the daddy that did it? would it still be ok or is child abuse then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think every person has a basic right to defend themselves from being injured by another person ~ including a child. If that child is your own, kicking/biting/hitting, than you have a right to restrain them and prevent injury to yourself, other children, pets, and themselves.

If the child has a weapon, than I would use the absolute fastest means of disarming them.

If and adult has the responsibility of several children and one of them is endangering the others ~ particularly if they themselves can't handle the situation and call the police ~ it is up to the police to determine the best means of ending the danger.

A child NEEDS boundaries. Allowing ANY child to brandish a weapon and curse at cops without any consequences is child abuse imo ~ because you end up with a child who has been taught that the rules don't apply to them ... until they leave the house as an adult and learn about the very real consequences.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• What's the situation? If the kid is coming at them with a damn knife, and they can grab the mace, then yeah, I do think it's ok. How the hell are you gonna get a knife from a kid that clearly wants to kill you? This kid has mental issues, he's not just a little angry. He is planning, and scheming to harm people.
    I the kid is just throwing a normal tantrum, and ISN'T an emotionally disabled kid, isn't a psychopath, then it IS child abuse. Too many of you are stuck on it being a case of an 8 year old.
    WHAT if YOUR child was in his class?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Too many of you are stuck on it being a case of an 8 year old. --

BINGO!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• without any consequences is child abuse <<<<<<

EXACTLY!!!! I don't think this point has been made yet. I think I said something about neglect, but not abuse. Excellent point! Not giving children boundaries, especially children with mental issues, IS abuse.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The kid had a weapon. He's lucky they didn't taze him.
    imamomzilla

Answer by imamomzilla at 12:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• NOT O.K.!
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 10:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I missed it, fill me in please!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The difference between a cop and a parent pepper spraying someone is that usually a cop is trained to do it. They have training in first aid, and other ways of subduing the person who is out of control.
    I am willing to say that a parent can pepper spray a kid if that child is over a certain age and height. If that parent has absolutely no other recourse but using the spray, and that parent has called or is calling 911 at the same time.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 10:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011