Is it possible that my pain tolerance is so high that i could be mistaking my first real contractions for BH?

sunnyday2011

Asked by sunnyday2011 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes. I thought I was having BH for 6 hours because they were not at all painful. My water broke and then my REAL contractions started and I had her 45 min later.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You could also not realize that they are real contractions because they haven't become painful yet. That's what happened with my first child. I went for a non-stress test and they told me they were admitting me because I was having contractions every 5 min... well I didn't feel them until over 15 hours later.. When I finally did, I only had 3 hrs of the ones I could feel then he was here!

But yes, I think it is possible. If they are regular and not sporadic, then it may be time to call the dr. Keep track of them for a bit.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks guys! Luckily i have a OB appt tomorrow and he'll be doing a NST...
    sunnyday2011

Comment by sunnyday2011 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't say it's because your pain tolerance is so high (I'm not saying you don't have a high tolerance lol). Contractions usually take a while to become painful, and a lot of women don't even really notice their early contractions. I went through about 70 hours of labor, and only hurt for like 5 minutes during transitional labor. I didn't even think I was in labor until my OB sent me to the hospital after an appointment and I was having regular contractions. I hardly felt mine until I was 7cm or more.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Do pay attention if they are painful. Just see if they are consistent. Everyone's pain is different, I was fine until I was at 10 and then they hurt....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Dont^
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm scared about the same thing. I have been induced my other 2 pregnancies, and they say that is much more intense, but I have nothing to compare it to. I also have to drive an hour to the hospital this time. I am worried that I will wait too long thinking my contractions aren't real and deliver on the side of the highway.

Erm...not to project my own fears onto you. LOL

I agree with the PP about timing them. If they are coming at regular intervals, I would take it seriously.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes its very possible
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011