Sleeping troubles

My 3 year old son, goes to bed at around 7:30pm or 8:00pm in the evening. Unfortunately he does not sleep very long. I guess what I mean to say is that he is usually up at 5:30am, climbing into the bed with my husband and I. When I feel him get into the bed, I would normally tell him to go back in his bed, and a lot of the times he will fall back asleep until about 7 or so. Which is obviously a lot better than 5:30am. Now with that saying, I do not always feel him climb into the bed, he usually climbs in on my husbands side, and stays very quite, knowing if I felt him move I would make him go back to his bed. What would you guys do? Let him get up at 5:30 and not sleep, or make him go back to his own bed? Putting him to bed later than 8 is not an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reggie2

Asked by Reggie2 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dh and us let our dd sleep with us when she climbs into bed with us. Shes also 3. After 5 kids we have learned someone is going to climb into the bed with us because their sick, nightmares or just want comfort. I think if you want sleep just dont worry about it and leave it be. Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles and if hes sleeping in his own bed at 3 most of the night kudos already! Sounds like hes well on his way to continueing that and an hour or two with dad or mom isnt going to hurt anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would let him stay in my bed when he comes in at 5:30am. What's the big deal, since you said he's quiet. Remember, they're only this age for a short time and someday he won't be climbing into bed with you anymore at all. Just my opinion.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If you know he's there tell him to go back to bed. If not sleep until you wake up. No use trying to cause trouble when there isn't any. He will get out of that habbit and start to watch cartoons in the morning pretty soon, now that is a battle..
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• my daughter, goed to sleep at 10pm at night, now i know people might think im a bad parent for that, but me and my dh are both night people, were usually out doing stuff until then anyways.. but she wakes up at 7am everyday..
    Meow6six6

Answer by Meow6six6 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2008