Postpartum?

How do i fight off postpartum depression? My son is one month old and i love him dearly. I just feel overwhelmed all of the time, I cry alot and i find it hard to be happy with anything right now. It seems like my husband and i are arguing all of the time also. I'm not sure if it is me or him. I think he is unhappy also or at least with me. I thought this would pass after a couple of weeks but it hasn't yet. Is it postpartum depression or is this normal? What should i do?

malleymom106

Asked by malleymom106 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Talk to your doctor, it could very well be postpartum. I was diagnosed with clinical depression about a year after my dd was born. If I had been honest with myself and others I could have gotten help alot sooner
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Definitely talk to your doctor. There are ways they can help you cope with it for sure. Don't try to deal with it on your own. Hope you're feeling better soon, hon. I think it does sound like PPD. I didn't feel that way, but I know women with PPD who did.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I experienced the same thing after I had my son. I was also afraid it was postpartum depression. After you have a baby your hormones are just going crazy so you're overwhelmed with all these emotions. You're gonna be the best one to judge whether or not this is normal because you know whats going through your mind. If it gets bad or you experience any bad thoughts or anything like that than you should definitely talk to someone about it. Don't keep all of your feelings on the inside. Talk to someone and maybe you'll get feeling better. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 10:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was lucky enough to only have it for a few weeks with my first, and I don't remember getting it with my second. *HUGS* I would talk to your dr about it, if even just to have someone to talk to to easy your mind about it. It will get better, hun. *more hugs*
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You need to let your husband take the baby for a day while you go out and get pampered for just one day. I was so depressed after I had my son too. My husband works nights and I work days so we never see each other and the stress will wear and tear your relationship and make you feel down. Get some fresh air away from the baby so you don't feel overwhelmed. Have a friend come over and help you out with the baby. Don't beat yourself up. Have a night out with your husband and have fun. You'll get through this. But if you feel like its too much, see a doctor. Hope things get better(they will with time)
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i felt the same way for about 2 months. I resented the baby and couldn't ever make up my mind whether dh needed to "GO AWAY!" or "You are never here!" haha

The cure for me was to stop breastfeeding (sounds weird, i know). i would pump some and feed formula too but that freedm of not having someone tied to my tits all day was liberating. It was so nice to have dh wake up and do night feedings and let other people take a turn feeding the little guy. its amazing how instantly I felt better :)

bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 10:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had ppd myself. I first want to say I'm SO sorry you are going through this. It's horrible. I know exactly how you feel. I suggest going to a dr. right away and getting on an anti depressants or two to help you get through this. PPD is SO powerful & you don't want it to get out of control because it will take a toll on your relationship, your bond with child and who you truly are inside. I've been struggling with since 05 when I lost my 1st baby & it got SO much worse after I had my son in 06. They say "baby blues" last 6 wks at the most. Maybe wait another couple weeks & see what happens ? But suffering from it myself, I say go right away & get help, Girl ! Don't be scared to ask for help. Take all the help you can get bc that will help you big time in short & long term. I promise you. Good Luck & Take care of yourself.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• u need to get help before some thing happens or someone get hurts
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Try to read the word of life when you feel depressed.
    Sew-sun

Answer by Sew-sun at 11:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011