Anxiety medication and breastfeeding?

I am currently taking 100mg of Zoloft, but it's just not seeming to do the job. I am curious to know if increasing the dose to 150mg would be of any help, or maybe adding in an anti-anxiety medication. Has anyone been perscribed anti-anxiety medication while breastfeeding, if so what was the outcome. Or if anyone has went up a dose in Zoloft, please let me know if it worked for you, thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Zoloft is fine to use, don't let anyone make you feel bad for taking it! They have NEVER been able to detect any in the blood of breastfeeding babies. It is safe to go up to 150 mg if that will help you. As for anti-anxiety meds, it would depend on the medication.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Definitely ask your doctor. I don't think anyone on here should be giving advice about medications and dosage. No offense, I just don't want you to get bad advice.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Anti anxiety med's are known to show up in breast milk. You dont want to be giving the baby a Valium with each feeding. Zoloft shows up in breast milk to. Not sure what that does to a new baby's brain receptors but it cant be good.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• MDs unfortunately rarely know the correct answer. According to the National Institutes of Health's Lact-Med database, up to 200 mg has been studied and found safe for baby... very little passes into breastmilk.

The thing you ask your MD is whether you can up your dosage, or if you should try something different like Paxil (also safe).

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• this is a question for an MD!
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 9:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2011