How to teach to NOT interrupt?

How did you teach your child to not interrupt while you are talking to another adult.. (or to not interrupt anyone for that matter).

I feel like by stopping my conversation-its saying "see u will deal with me now. not later"... but by ignoring a child saying "mom, MOM, MOMMY, mommymommymommyMOOOMMMMMYYYY" well we all know no one is having a conversation & all eyes/ears are on the childs behavior.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they interrupt at a young age, they don't know what to do. Just tell your child that you will be with them in a minute, just as soon as you finish. Just don't wait too long or they will do it again.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We actually stop for just a moment and say "Mommy/Daddy is talking, please wait". This has been working and she will be 3 in a few months.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I stop my conversation to tell them "excuse me, I was talking with ___ and that was very rude. Can you please wait your turn?" Usually that helps. Of course I'm always having to remind them but that's how kids learn, by repetition.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wish I knew, my son does this also!! I keep telling him it is rude and it's like he gets so excited by what he has to tell me that he always forgets.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I usually tell my 2.5 year old, "Just a minute, Victoria. I'm talking to _____ right now." She's just a tot, so I cut her some slack.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am dealing with the same thing right now but I think it takes time and we make sure to remind our boys every time they do it that its rude and not nice It seems to work until they forget lol But Hopefully it works
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm going threw the same thing as well
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 11:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011