Ear infections....

How many ear infections does a child have to have before they want to put tubes in a babys ear?

My son has had 3 ear infections back to back almost and his dr said he my need to see an ear dr. She hasn't mad an appointment with one yet...but I'm getting scared he may have to have it done!!

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think they typically wait for 5 within a certain time period. I had a conversation with my pediatrician around #3 that I didn't want to keep putting her on antibiotics, and would prefer to see a specialist not that I was eager for surgery for her but I wanted to see if there was something wrong or other options. We went to the specialist after ear infection #4, and by the time we saw them that infection hadn't cleared or there was number 5 (this was within 6 or 7 months). DD had a hearing test and they determined she was technically deaf in one ear because the fluid wasn't draining completely, so everything she heard was like hearing under water. We opted for the surgery, which was scary because you don't know how they're going to react to anesthesia, but thankfully everything was okay.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 11:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh and I was shocked to learn tubes can come out as soon as 6 months after surgery, and kids sometimes need them placed more than once.

Good luck! Hope he feels better soon :)
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 11:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If the kid has had 3 in less than a 2 month period tubes may be needed until the kid's tubes are shaped right. Its pretty common these days and it's not a bad idea as it will prevent lots more ear infections. We all have had a screaming child with soar ears and it's no fun.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my son got tubes put in back in Nov 2010. The dr said 4 ear infections in a year is a red flag to be checked out to have tubes put in...my son had like 6 so it was a definite to get tubes put in. It has been the best thing ever too! He hasn't had anymore infections since, but they said he could still get them with the tubes but thankfully he has yet. His speech and behavior improved the same day! I was so amazed by them! So if you feel your toddler might need them...is suggest getting him referred to an ear dr soon! It will be the best move ever! and your baby won't suffer from pain and having to take antibiotics all the time.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• A child should not have back to back ear infections regardless. it means their ears can not drain right on their own. my son has tubes. he got them before he turned two because of back to baCK EAR INFECTIONS. it seems scary, but its a minor procedure and takes 30minutes to be done. very minor. tubes also fall out with in 6months. after that hope it made a difference and that they dont need to be done again. unfortunatly my son is having them redum, but since the tubes hes only had one minor ear infection. THANK GOD! so good luck and dont be scared, tubes are a definate plus!
    TYLERS_MOMMI

Answer by TYLERS_MOMMI at 1:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011