Contractions in induced vs. natural labor?

I was induced with both of my previous pregnancies and I have heard that these contractions are much stronger than you experience with natural labors. Lord willing I will go on my own this time, but I am afraid I will wait too long expecting contractions that felt the same as what I am used to...induced.

Has anyone delivered both ways? How big was the difference? I just don't have anything to compare my previous labors to.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Was induced with the first and natural with the 2nd. Being induced was a living HELL I wouldnt wish on an enemy.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• ive done both, had two births in hospital one completely induced and one homebirth all natural...there was a huge difference not only was it less painful because there was no pitocin but I could walk around and that was like night and day, laying down was horrible up walking was a breeze. It was so easy I called my mom when they were a little over a minute apart and asked if she thought I should call the midwife yet, cause I wasn't really in any pain. She said probably and about an hour and a half later my third baby was here...it was a really easy delivery.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I delivered both ways. My induction with pitocin, I had contractions for 4 hours, they were basically painless. I felt them, but they didn't hurt. Near the end of the 4 hours they got more intense, but didn't really hurt. At that point I was 6cm dilated and my midwife broke my water. Very quickly my contractions began to really hurt. About 40 minutes later I really had to push but was only 8cm. My midwife told me to push if I felt the need. So I did and my baby was born about 20 minutes later. It was a very easy delivery.
    With my third baby I went into labor on my own. I had very little pain until the last two hours. I needed to push at 8cm again, but my water had not broken. My midwife broke my water, but the baby's head was engaged and the water didn't come out. I pushed for about 20 minutes and my baby came out in a huge gush of water.
    Personally, it didn't matter the strength of the contractions was the same at the end.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i"ve had both n yes let me tell you there is a huge difference in the pain, the induced ones are so much harder than the nautural ones, but let me also tell you that you will surely know when it is a real contraction and when it's time so dont be to worried about that...i"m telling you at first you might think ok what's this but as soon as they keep coming you will know exactly what they are so dont worry!!
    cheristar84

Answer by cheristar84 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have had both....induced contractions were HELL compared to natural contractions.

I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be induced again unless there is a SERIOUS medical issue. I had high blood pressure when I was induced the first time and that is the ONLY reason I was induced.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Induced labor is SEVERAL times more intense on the uterus (and baby). Whether a mom recognizes this increased intensity is up to unique individual experiences. But natural-spontaneous labor is how we are designed and, with preparation, can really have a safe-enjoyable birth.

Are you having complications that might make baby safer outside than in?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was not induced the first time with my son. Honestly, I thought it was worse going natural simply because I had no idea what to expect. With my daughter, I was induced and I knew exactly what was going to happen and when it was going to happen.
    The pain levels were basically the same, it was just I had more control over an induced labor rather than natural.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 2:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have had toxemia with all of my pregnancies. This time it started earlier than my other pregnancies, which was just a couple weeks at the end...where now they diagnosed me at 29 or 30 weeks. However, I was able to go on maternity leave any time I wanted this time, so I am home taking it easy. Hopefully, I will be able to go on my own.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My first two I went into labor on my own, I was induced with my 3rd. To me, the contractions felt exactly the same. The contractions weren't any harder, stronger, etc. so it was no big deal. I actually preferred being induced to going on my own - my oldest is special needs and I needed to procure childcare for him.

Answer by missanc at 10:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Are you on the Brewer Diet?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2011