Can the court MAKE a 12 year old testify against his abuser? is there anyway to protect the child from this?

can they make him testify?
can they make him testify in open court - is there any laws protecting him from having to be IN court or testify at all?
do you think it would be bad for his healing process or good for his healing process?
Personally i don't think he is ready to face this, and he is so young. We haven't heard from either side reguarding his testimony but we know the trail is coming up.
what can we expect??

agallo004

Asked by agallo004 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• i dont know for sure but i know they can supeana (sp??) people so they probably can. but i know ive heard of kids testifying but they sit in a room with a video camera and the lawyers so they dont have to go into the court room so hopefully he can do that.
    good luck<3
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I strongly recommend getting a lawyer if you weren't already appointed one. The lawyer should be able to answer these questions more thoroughly. Usually a prosecutor is appointed to the victim free of charge. I also recommend looking up some victim advocates who would be able to help you foresee and navigate the legal process. I believe that minors can not be forced to testify in an open (public) court session since juvenile cases are supposed to be treated confidentially. However, this doesn't mean the child won't be asked to testify in a private court session. A lawyer should be able to help prepare him for court and explain how he should answer if he doesn't understand a question completely (since some kids don't know what they can/can't do in court and to explain what certain words might mean. Police evidence (pictures, lab tests, doctor's written/in-person testimony, etc. should also be included in the case
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was thinking along the same lines as Elsa...that they would still need his testimony, but would take a recorded statement answering a few questions in a private room over making the child sit on a stand in a room full of people and face his abuser.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, he can testify together with your presence. I had a situation that my kid became a witness and he did to testify infront of the Chairman of our Community together with me. Or you can consult the attorney.
    Sew-sun

Answer by Sew-sun at 11:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011