What's the magic number?

I was talking to a friend today and the subject of "class" came up. And I've read a couple of articles but the answer isn't really perfectly clear. There seems to be a lot of "personal perception" involved ~ so I thought I'd ask all the moms....

What income constitutes Middle Class, Upper Middle Class and then finally Rich?

Have those numbers changed since 2008, with the bad health of the economy?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Middle class earns about 35- 55K a year upper middle is about 60-150K and rich is over 175 a year in my opinion Im probably wrong though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nah, I think my "numbers" are about the same as vbruno...35-65 middle class...65 - 125 upper middle class...and over that "rich" even though it highly depends on the area. In my area, that seems about the standard.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's a 20K spread for Middle Class and a 90K spread for Upper Middle and if Rich doesn't come in till 175 - then the Upper Middle Class spread is expanded 115K.
    I'm not *even saying you're wrong... just wonder if such a wide spread over Upper Middle Class is realistic.
    The 2009/2010 LiHeap Clearinghouse says that a 100% poverty level for a family of 4 is $22,050 -- does that change your mind any about Middle Class?
    My friend suggested this: There are 3 classes for each class... (Poor Class is: poverty, middle-lower and upper-lower class), Middle Class is: lower-middle, middle and upper-middle class). She also suggests that Upper Middle Class is interchangeable with Lower-Class Rich. Would you all agree with that?
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011