Scared of the dark

how do u deal with your child being scared of the dark?

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is three and scared of the dark, I got him a night light, so far it works :)
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nightlights worked for my son, until he eventually grew out of it.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• At some point all of the children were scared of the dark for different reasons. I dealt with it differently per child. In one case I got cats or a dog. Having an animal helped the kids feel safe as they thought of the animal as a protector. Then there was identifying the fear in the dark. Was it shadow or noises, this took education and making all the sounds make sense. Some were possible bugs and animals outside. Learning about house noises where the discussions turned into learning about the house being constructed, how different materials did different things over time. Were there monsters in the closets, This lead to defining what was a monster, where they came from, and are they all bad which went into the kids liking the monsters that could be in the closet. That the bad ones couldn't come out of places where there are no holes, so no closet doors.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 12:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011