How can my husband get a job?

He got fired from his job 1 1/2 years ago and every single job he's applied for, he's not gotten.
I'm beyond frustrated. Are we screwed for the rest of our lives because of a mistake that was made that caused him to be fired?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• What was he fired for?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Has he tried temp agencies? After almost 2 years he has to take what he can get. Things won't always be bleak, good things do happen.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• he was caught with his safety glasses off for about 2 min. him and others had been fired for simple things like that....they were looking for reasons to cut people back....it really sucks.

as a result of the firing we've accumulated unpaid debt, so i'm assuming that has something to do with employers not wanting to hire him as well. that's frustrating as well....how are we supposed to pay our bills without a job?...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• he has tried the temp agencies. he's applied at mcdonalds....we've taken every avenue we can think of
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If his prev. employer is giving out information on why he was fired over and above very basic information they are breaking the law.  I agree with the above poster......has he tried temp agencies? 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's such crap, I cannot believe they fired him for making an honest mistake..I'm so sorry.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Are you working? If not, why not?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I feel so hopeless right now. We're both going to school, so what happens when we have our degrees? Will the firing and the debt still loom over us preventing GOOD jobs?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's a good thing you're both in school because school would be a good way around his past job firing. I don't recommend going back to school for everyone but only in certain cases. I do suggest finding a job in the meantime to help pay bills, even if it's not what you used to do. Schools have connections to employers, job fairs, and student-related jobs. Some companies offer some jobs to students only, even if you haven't finished school but are currently enrolled. There are also paid cooperative education plans and internships some schools can help you set up. You earn school credit and money at the same time. Temping is also a GREAT way to put the past far behind. Most temp agencies don't care about your past and you don't necessarily have to answer everything they ask either, even on a job application. That's mistake most ppl make. Employers should legally only verify job title and pay from last job
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• All you can really do is keep applying, checking up on the status of the application, and ask around. Often the best jobs can be obtained through networking with people you know, and their friends, and so on. My dad ended up with an extremely successful career, and he found it in a small ad in the newspaper. It was something he had no experience in, and basically, it sucked at first. It didn't pay much, but he worked his way up until he was at the top. He ended up not even using his degree. Just keep trying..sometimes you'll fall into a career when you least expect it. Don't give up hope, hon. Lots of people are going through things like this right now.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011