Will my daughter lose her trust in me? Please help me...I feel so terrible...

We have been planning a trip to California for at least a month. My 3 year old was so excited about going. We bought new jammies to wear on the plane (we booked a red-eye flight), she got a new "pack pack" filled with a few special treats. Her dad drove us to the airport and we went through security. Well, after waiting 20 minutes, we were told the flight was cancelled due to the weather, and we wouldn't be able to fly tonight. I feel like the worse mom in the world! Now she's back in her bed asleep, instead of in California with my family. We're flying tomorrow, but I can't help but feel that she won't trust me, and that she won't really believe we're flying tomorrow.

Can you give me any words of encouragement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's not a big deal, you're going tomorrow..plus she is only 3 years old so I'm pretty sure she won't really lose her trust in you.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Now is a great opportunity to start teaching her that despite your best laid plans, sometimes things happen that are not within your control. She is going to look to you to learn how to behave when that happens. So do you want her learn that it's the time to freak out and get upset or do you want her to learn that it's not the end of the world and to adjust her plans? The choice is yours :)
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 12:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• She feels bad tonight but tomorrow when you and her go, she'll be happy. She will forget all about not going today. It's not your fault, you can't control the airlines. Have a safe trip.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Awww. Poor thing. I can see how you'd feel bad, but she'll see by tomorrow that you weren't lying to her. I agree with PP, she'll forget all about today. Just explain to her again why you couldn't fly today, and once she's on the plane, she'll know you were telling the truth.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Just explain the best you can why it didn't work out. Sometimes in life there are disapointments that we can't controll. It will work out in the end. Don't feel bad
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• seriously...don't stress about it. She'll be just as happy tomorrow when she is on the plane.
    Plus at 3, they really don't have a concept of time.

Enjoy!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• By the end of it she will probably have so much fun she wont even remember that it was a day later then planned. Dont be so hard on yourself!!!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• she wont remember the upset... she will remember how much fun you have when you get there. Life happens, that is a good lesson for her to know, explain to her what happened, no big deal momma!
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 1:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Be glad you're both safe and perhaps focus on safety rather than the trip. Things could be worse so be glad they aren't.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• hellokittykat-I didn't give you a thumbs-down...I'm not sure who did, or why they did. I like your advice, as well as everyone else's so far :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011