Am I wrong in asking people to PLEASE not cuss around my kids??

I have a son that is almost 4 and girls that are 2. My husband and I always watch our language around them. ALWAYS!!!! Especially since they are now at ages where they repeat anything you say. Anyway, they went over to my sisters house and one of her friends was there with her kids, a boy 3 and a girl 1, I know them as well. I got a call from my sister to tell me that her friend had been talking and naturally just cussing and now my daughters keep saying the f-bomb. I got a little upset and went to pick them up and just asked her to please watch her laguage around them and she got mad at me! I just dont understand, I wasn't yelling at her or even that mad, I just know some people cuss and dont even realize it so asking if she could try to be more concious of it in front of my kids.. Little people have big ears, and mouths!!!! I even told her that I am not trying to sound rude or anything. I dont know how I could have possibly said it nicer, and i dont think it was an unreasonable request.

VBM7287

Asked by VBM7287 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's completely ridiculous that you had to ask another mother not to swear around your children. Really, even if she wasn't a mother, it'd still be ridiculous.

It's not as though it's THAT hard to watch what you say. I have my censor on anytime my children are around, and anytime I'm around someone who I know doesn't swear. It's polite - and it's not difficult. The occasional slip-ups happen, but from the sounds of your OP, this woman didn't slip up and use the f-bomb once.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No I have kids same age as you and make it clear in a nice way to not cuss around my children... I don't them to pick speaking like that... plus I just don't want that around them
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 11:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think there's anything wrong with asking someone, but...I wouldn't do it if I were a guest in their home. If they were cussing to an extent that I didn't want my child to hear it, we'd either leave the room or go home. But..this was your sisters how. I don't think it's a big deal that you said anything, and the lady should have been embarrassed, but I kinda think your sister should have been the one to say something to her.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• no , i do it all the time
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• She was wrong for using that kind of words in front of little ones. I would of been made too. My two year old repeats everything. You had every right to be mad. If she wants to teach her little ones how to cuss then that's on her.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think you are. I've told many of ppl, mostly friends of my husbands that come over. I've told my family even and they didn't take it too well so luckily I am not around them that often.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's not an unreasonably request at all and she should respect that since that's your children, and you don't want that around them
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 11:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You are so right and others need to respect your wishes when it comes to your kids. No one wants to hear their LO drop the f bomb.
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Heck no you're not wrong! Been there, done that. The guy who was doing all the cussing apologized. People should think before they speak...especially when there's children around.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• you were right to ask her politely not to cuss around your kids. I have a 3 yr and he pretty much says what he hears. I think u werent wrong.
    Chris85

Answer by Chris85 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011