Does anybody eles's child have a "lovey"?

My son (who is 19 months old) has a little blankey with a bear head on it, that is the best way to describe it- his "nuggle buggle"...anyway, he has to have it at nap time, bed time, and when we go anywhere. My husband and I are terrified of losing it because he has thrown up on it before and I have had to wash it and he would NOT go to sleep without it. My question is, do your kids have these? Is it normal? When should they grow out of it?

CarieP

Asked by CarieP at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• My daughter has two, a blanket like you described only with a duck's head, and a regular blanket that her great grandma made for her. She is the same way, doesn't go anywhere without them and definitely won't sleep without them. I'm pretty sure it's normal. I have a very large family and almost every single one of us have had something like this. As far as when they will grow out of it, I have a couple of cousins who still sleep with their "blankies" from when they were babies, and they are all in their twenties.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• yeah my dd has a blanket that has eyore on one side and pink on the other and is heavy and she wont sleep without it. my oldest had a puppy that he used to tote everywhere and he almost 6 now and the puppy is with the rest of the stuffed animals in the closet
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son loves his blankey. I have three of them now as backups. Yes, it's normal and healthy for them to have a comfort item.
    DeputyWifeJen

Answer by DeputyWifeJen at 11:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son, now 10, had a "ninny". Actually he had 2. They were the crib comforters. He played with the "taddys" (tags) when he went to sleep. I had to patch it and sew the tags on so many times! His favorite was his "Pooh ninny" but the "Mickey ninny" would do if the other was misplaced. He held on to it til he went to school. I still have them and plan on giving them to his wife when he gets married. My 11 yo had a "baby moo cow", but its been gone for years. It was a beanie baby type cow.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son had a special bear; my daughter a special lamb. At first, those critters went everywhere with us. As they grew, they were only used in the house . . . as an aid to sleep, to comfort when hurt or sad, etc. At times, it was as if they were real members of our family!

Both kids gave them up at about the age of 10, though I didn't get rid of them. They're packed away and I'll pull them out again when they go off to college next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• my DD has her blankie from when she was born, she calls it her "B". Its a little quilt that was with her crib bedding. she doesnt sleep without it. She also has a soft baby doll that is now more of a rag doll! Her name is Betsy. She doesnt go anywhere without her. Its pretty cute! She is over 2 now and its okay with us that she has her lovies.
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 11:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• lol... you didn't go anon. You're daughter is going to be POed. haha.... Its ok, though. I still have a pink bunny named "candy nose" my grandma got me when I was 4. I took it to college and won't let my kids play with it.
    Anonymous

• Sure, it's normal. My daughter loves her blankets. Luckily, she doesn't care which one, as long as she has one. And a stuffed animal. Again, not one in particular.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2008