How do you celebrate the holidays? Do you care more about giving or receiving?

I have no intentions on offending anyone, so please bear with me...With all the economic problems and the commercialism of this season..How do you celebrate the holidays and what does it mean to you? What is the most important aspect of this holiday to you the giving part or the receiving part? Me, I like both, but I find more joy in the giving part..I am generous, but I do feel bad I can't do as much..I am lucky that my teen is a very practicle kid. :)

Adnil

Asked by Adnil at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Holidays

• I am definitely more into the giving part. Last year I didn't have anything under the tree at all. My daughter comes first to me. This year we got her 3 toys and some clothes, and that will be all. For the other kids in the family they are getting $10 gift cards to their favorite stores. Parents are getting home made sugar cookies. Grandparents are getting a photo album of pictures (mostly of our daughter.) I have never gone crazy on Christmas, I think it is more about spending time with family than anything, and that is what we will stick to.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Giving definitely, I get so excited just before my kids open the presents! The looks on their little faces, but even giving isn't that important i reckon that holidays are mostly about spending time together and laughing and just having fun and being a family to be honest. :)
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 11:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i like both, but i like giving better than receiving. :D actually last year we didnt even have a tree. last christmas was horrible!! this one i'm making sure that its alot better than last year specially for my two yr old son. i've spent a lil too much on him already. and i'm done shopping. as for the holidays i spend them on 24th with my family and on the 25th with his family. and then 25th in the afternoon is our own lil family time! :D i love it!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I enjoy giving way more then getting. I to did not have a tree last year, and this year I made sure we had one and this Christmas is going to be alot better. I can't wait to see all the presents under the tree for my son and my SO. Knowing that its going to be so much better this year makes life seem alittle easier, I know thats crazy b/c it's just Christmas but times are hard and we are lucky to be having a Christmas this year.
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My husband and I don't exchange gifts. We host Christmas at our house for the family, so a lot of money goes into food, decore, and just fixing things here and there for company.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I like to receive, but I love to give! It makes me feel good to make someone happy!
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I love giving more than receiving but I do love unwrapping. I also take pleasure in wrapping things up I get very creative with that. However, in these economical times with all the hardship I've already informed my family members my gift to all of them will be the dinner I will make for them. I do not plan on entertaining this economy. Times are rough & with the economy being so unstable we don't know what the future holds in store for us with all of these stocks taking a plunge daily, gas prices fluctuating etc. I will prepare meals everyone enjoys, all of my favorite things... watch movies & play card games & truly the only one's who will get a little something will be the very young.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Cont.~ It's back to basics in my household: SIMPLIFY+SAVE= MORE AVAILABLE $ FOR US WHEN WE RETIRE HENCE; WE ARE FINANCIALLY SECURED. YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DEPLETE THE WATER IN THE RESERVE YOU IN ESSENCE DRY UP THE WELL. WE AS AMERICANS CANNOT AFFORD TO CONTINUE IN THIS DESTRUCTIVE PATH. BE A JOY GERM & SPREAD THE WORD TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR NETWORTH & DON'T OVERSPEND OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE SPENDING THE REST OF YOUR LIFE BORROWING FROM PETER TO PAY PAUL ...IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE. INSTEAD BE INFECTIOUS SPREAD JOY & CHEER AND LET US ALL HUG ONE ANOTHER MORE. A HUG IS FREE AND ONE SIZE FIT'S ALL & TRULY REMEMBER THE REASON FOR THE SEASON + BELIEVE + PEACE!
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I am not sure, I like to give but we have nothing to give this season....we were generous in giving a family a place to stay at our apt. For 3 months but all our money went into rescuing ourselves from the debt they incurred, then we are expecting our third child any day now....all we will do is put up our tree but I don't know if there will be anything to fill it as times are hard and I don't even have a car seat for my unborn child yet or clothes .....I dk. But I do wish I had so I could give to others. Not too long ago I was technically homeless and around the holidays people look at you as if you have five heads and treat you like nothing, now not everyone but the people I have encountered have....last year we had an okay xmas we gave out dinners to those less fortunate than we are.
    tears30314

Answer by tears30314 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• GIVING- The look on the kids' face when they wake up and see the Christmas tree and presents in the morning. The laughter we hear all day doing things as a family. Christmas dinner, and cooking with love for my family even though it takes all day lol. It is usually hard for my husband and I to do things for each other, so we take care of the kids, they all have a limit that we have set, and then we get a large gift for our selves when we get our income tax back.
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 10:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2008