Parakeets

Just curious..what is the best kind of food for parakeets? My parakeets will not eat people food of any kind...but they do like the millet. One of my parakeets my 14 year old noticed was alittle smaller than usual..It's a female. She does eat, she doesn't always like to share. Her beak looks fine. They are all over a year old. I did change their food to a lesser seed type diet, but I am wondering if I should give them vitamins..The avian vet is not close and they are expensive..so, I want to try a different diet or vitamins first..what do you suggest?

Adnil

Asked by Adnil at 11:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pets

• All birds burn up 7% of there body fat in a day. The buddgies are high fiber diet. There seed should consist of a well rounded mixure just made for them with vitiamines and minerals. They also need gravel to help digest their food. A cuddle bone to chew on is a great sorce of clacium and keeps their beaks in shape Millets is like a treat for them., but not just that seed. You sholdn't skimp on their diets cause they need all the energy food they can have. Hard bolid eggs the yellow part is a great food for them if they get used to it. Read up on these birds on the internet and you will be surprised what makes these birds tick. Good luck to you and your birds, they arewonderful pets.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have had 4 parakeets and I loved them all. I used to give vitamins don't anymore. I give seeds and millet and oat and groats. My bird loves people food too will try just about anything fruits are good too
    Sunshine539

Answer by Sunshine539 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• They have parakeet food, try that.
    Anonymous