What is the best OTC hairball meds for my cats?

My poor kitty it puking up all his food thanks to hairballs, and we can't afford a $200 trip to the vet for a prescription. Any suggestions?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pets

• put vaseline on your fingertip and let kitty lick it off , like the size of a quarter - some cats wont do it , some will , its just like the Petromalt you buy OTC WITH LESS INGREDIENTS , A VET TOLD ME THAT YEARS AGO , MY CAT LOVED IT.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Be sure to brush your cat several times daily to reduce the amount of ingested fur. There are some dry foods that are designed to help with hairball control. The indoor type of dry food usually helps. Also, consider changing any canned food you use. Some canned foods have thick gravy that worsens the hairball problem. I find there's less vomiting with Meow Mix Market Select kind since it's more of a broth juice than a gravy. Also, make sure the canned food isn't the big chunky kind but the shredded or ground up pate' (patay) kind. Cat grass also works for some cats. You shouldn't worry about the vomiting unless the cat is losing weight. Just feed the cat again and make sure the cat has plenty of water. If it's a long hair cat, consider giving it a trim or professional groom at a Petsmart/Petco.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• He's a short hair cat, and I do brush him, but apparently not well enough. He is losing weight. Especially near his hips. He's throwing up about three times a day, but then he won't eat afterwards. He gets indoor formula dry food, it says it has hairball control, but it really doesn't help.

I'll do some research on the Vaseline thing. Thanks!
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Try a zoom groom brush or maybe a professional grooming but that can run around 50 depending on where you are.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I am not sure he throwing up from hairballs... I had a simular issue... my cat had some bad teeth and was swallowing her hard food whole... it caused her to throw up... it may also be the food you are giving him doesnt agree with him... I would be worried if he is losing weight
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 2:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have tried every single food out there. He has thrown up ever since we got him at five months. We took him to the vet, and at the time, we couldn't see hairballs in his vomit, so she gave us ideas on what kind of food to give him. It didn't work. But now, every time he vomits, there's a huge hairball right in the middle of the pile. So I'm positive that's what it is. He's also started hacking them up without throwing up, so they are getting worse.

I just tried the Vaseline last night. He did NOT like it! But he licked it off his leg.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The Vaseline has been working great! I gave it to him, and he threw up about three hours later. I've been giving it to him every day, and the last time he threw up was FIVE days ago! Thanks so much for the simple solution!
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011