Knuckle popping.

I pop my knuckles atleast five times a day if not more. I have tried to stop, telling myself no when I want to pop them. I have tried pain when the thought of popping them crossed my mine. (like a rubber bandsnap ect.) Just nothing is working and I really would like to stop popping them. Can anyone offer any advice?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Health

• Explore why you feel the need to pop the knuckles. Are you nervous, bored, does it remind you of something, too much energy? Or does it help you think like some people walk around in circles? Perhaps buy one of those hand grip squeezers like the one below.

http://www.amazon.com/Pair-of-Hand-Grip-Exerciser/dp/B003NQLWQO

It's a habit and all habits can be changed. You just need to let yourself practice by making yourself squeeze a stress ball or hand squeezer like 5 times a day and eventually the habit transfers from your knuckles to whatever else you choose to replace it with.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• maybe you pop them because its a nervous habit. figure out WHY you pop them and subsitute a different "habit" when you feel the urge. like painting your nails or stretching. you have to replace the behavoir.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• that's probably one of my worst habits, but i dont have any desire to quit doing, so i don't really have any advice...sorry
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I can't stand when ppl do that around me. Ugh.... that sound is the worst! Maybe being a little more aware of how uncomfortable the sound is to some ppl might help????
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I pop them more when I get bored or aggitated at people.
    charmd18

Comment by charmd18 (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011