Scouts or 4-H?

Which do you like better? I'm signing my kids up this fall but not sure which to choose. They're not doing both, lol.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 12:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My dd does both. Scouts depends alot on the leader and varies from troop to troop. In couting in general you do community service, learn outdoor stuff like fire building, knot tying, camping, hiking, leaf identification...,make crafts and a variety of other things.

In 4H you can raise animals or you pick a few things your child wants to learn about. Alot of it is done on your own like sewing, photography, baking are just a few options. My dd is doing Dog agility where he trains our dog to go thru tunnels and stuff. You have more choice in the things you choose but you do more of it alone in my opinion. You enter things in the fair in the summer.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 4-H......Boy Scouts ended up being a joke to us.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• around here the only kids that do 4-H are the ones that live out in the country like on ranches/farms. everyone else does scouts. I assume thats because, dont you like raise animals for 4H? my friends raised goats for 4H.... idk that much about it but I assume you need to raise those animals so. I'm putting my boys in scouts just because I know more about it and I don't think we could do much with 4H
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never raised any animals and I was in 4-H.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Nah, I live in a large city and I know people who've done 4-H. I suppose it all depends on what you're able to do. I don't really know anyone with kids old enough for these things yet so I'm not sure how they all really work and which is better.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Boy scouts
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You do not have to raise animals to be in 4-H. There are plenty of non-animal projects that can be taken, from leadership to electricity, woodworking to cooking and sewing. There are even projects for creative and fine arts, including Creative Writing, Photography and Theater Arts.

Both of my girls have been in 4-H for many years. Although they both do take rabbits, it is not a requirement. They have both taken cooking projects. Oldest DD has taken Photography and Veterinary Science. Youngest DD has taken a Collectibles project. They both have learned a lot from being in 4-H, probably a lot more than they would have learned by being in Scouts.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 10:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• we do the scouts...boy and girl scouts. the kids learn a lot, experience various things..they are great organizations.
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011