I think SO has a social/personality disorder!

He's the most loving dad. He treats my son like he's king practically but he will not socialize with hardly anyone. When we were at my family's he sat at the opposite end of the house reading books rather than talking to anyone. He yells and gets pissed for no reason. I'll ask him to do me a favor and help me carry our son's stroller up the stairs and he gets pissed off!! I'm not kidding. He won't open up or even talk to me and whenever I try to hug him, he won't hug back or push me off!! This hurts me all the time emotionally. Do you think he may have something more than a personality quirk?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Health

• sounds like he may have some past issues going on that he needs to deal with but won't. thats a hard situation.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 12:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• First, do you see that any of his family members (dad, mom, uncle, grandfather) act this way or have personality quirks? Has he always been this way? If not, when did you notice he started acting like this?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My SO is like that but so is most of his family. They just dont like to be around alot of people and I have a big family so it is secind nature to me. I usually let him go off and do something else because he just gets mad when I make him participate. Like on Thanksgiving I let him go frisbie golfing. This way when I do need his help his nerves arent fried.
    If he is the only one like this in his family then I would worry but if not dont force him. let him be who he is
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Actually his family is just the opposite. His parents are always smiling and friendly. I met his brother from out of town and I carried a full conversation with him. Its just him.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• With his behavior towards you I would wonder if for some reason if he might have repressed anger against women?

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Something attracted you to him in the first place. He must have one or two social skills. As far as not socializing with family and friends there are some people who are quiet, shy, or introverted. They don't say a whole lot and it is just part of their personality. It is also true that some people are not very big into hugging or extra physcial contact with of course a few acceptions, like durring or right before sex. That can be what is more comfortable for some people. On the other hand, being rude and not assisting a loved one when help is needed, getting cranky and yelling at a SO for their own rude behavior, and separating himself only from your family is not an acceptable.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• cont..A couple of thoughts and concerns: Is it really just with your family? That could be a red flag. Does he often complain he has to go over there, they don't like him, or that they try to influence you in a negative way? Has he ever tried to cancel plans or keep you from visiting with your family? Another red flag. Has he ever pushed you, threatend to push or hit you? Has he ever threatend to hurt himself if you leave him? Does he also not like to socialize with your friends but his friends he is okay with? Does he have friends? Is he the jealous type? If you can answer yes to any of these please feel free to PM me.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• That is not normal behavior. The isolation wanting to not participate the anger over little things. Seems that he has some underlying mental health issues. I agree with all the red flags from frogdawg. I wish you could get him into the DR. As he does need help. My prayers are with you cafe sis.
    Tracy O. decafsis
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 6:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• who knows, the lord may be dealing with him about issues that only your SO knows about, on the other hand men need to feel as if they are your only prority, take time for him, he may just be feeling left out and not appriciate. i get like that, dont you? Exspecially when i have a million things to do, cooking, cleaning, taking care of kids, and the stress of the hoilidays dont help that much either, take some time just for him, make him feel special even for one hour if that dont work, all you can do is PRAY. good luck, you are not the only one going through that, luv bree
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2008