Boys and barbies

So I let my 18 month old boys play with barbies. BIG DEAL RIGHT?
my brother wont let my almost 4 year old nephew play with barbies. he LIKES playing with dolls. hes just a kid. my mom got him a family set of dolls for christmas, it had a mom dad a boy and girl. the mom and dad are blonde like my brother and his wife so he called them mommy and daddy and he called the girl kimber (his sister) and the boy ryan (him) he spends probably 99% of his life playing guns, and every so often he likes to play with the barbies I have here for my own boys.
well my brother threw away the dolls he got for christmas and makes this HUGE deal about "well if he WANTS to he can but I'm not going to push him into it" however Ryan WANTS to play with them when hes over here but my brother makes fun of him for it! he even says things like "fags play with barbies" like horribel things like that IN FRONT OF MY NEPHEW.
my nephew actually takes the dolls to another room and plays quietly and when he realizes that I see him with the barbies he gets embarssed and stops playing with them!!!!

the thing is, when my neice is older, will they not allow her to play guns and cars!?!?!

whats your opinion on boys and barbies.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Toys and kids don't know from sexual compartmentalization.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You brother needs to seek therapy for his issues. Maybe he should have played with dolls more as a kid.
    There is NOTHING wrong with boys playing with dolls. My brother did. He had 4 Cabbage Patch Kids of his own when we were little and we played house where he had 4 kids and I had like 10 and we were neighbors and our "kids" were friends, lol. That's when he wasn't playing with his GI Joes or basketball.
    My son is 9 and got his first doll at 1 month old. He's been known to play Barbies with his sister and always has time to play with his 5yo sister and her dollhouse. When my youngest son showed an interest in my 5yo's Cabbage Patch Kid I went out and bought him his own doll that he loves to toss around and poke in the eye, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I probably wouldn't mind if my 18th mth old played with barbies (sometimes) but I wouldn't allow my four yr. son to play with them at all. Why? Because at the ages of 3 & 4 children and learning gender identification... I want MY girls to behave like girls and MY boys to behave like boys & if they chose not too, then it will be a choice that they have made as an individual at a much older age.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 12:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I didn't know boys and girls "HAD" to behave in a special way. I thought kids acted like kids and adults put the insane gender labels on others. BTW, a boy NEEDS to learn empathy and compassion and nurturing. He will be a dad one day..he might actually be expected to hold nurture and take care of his baby. Girls may have to fix a flat on their car, or change a fuse or do some handy work at home.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• @ BradenIsMySon... that is why you are entitled to raise YOUR children how YOU choose to and I am entitled to do the same. And yes, my boys & girls "HAVE" to behave in a way that is consistent with their gender. There are other ways to learn empathy and compassion beyond playing with dolls, and to think that I was implying that girls can not change tires is far-fetched. I was asked my opinion and I stated it, if you want a debate go answer a question in that category.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 1:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• She asked our opinion and I gave it. I never used your name or accused you of anything. Further more the vote down was catty of you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• BTW, since you drug me into your drama. WHY does a boy playing with a doll threaten you so? HOW is it "bad"? And WHO decided that girls and boys "acted" in separate ways? Adults may because society deemed it so and we comply like sheeple. Kids aren't geard to function that way until someone introduces the idea into their heads.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• NEWSFLASH: I don't care enough about your opinion to vote you down.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 1:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Who pissed in your Cheerios? Damn...I answer same as you , yet, you decided to call me out and jump my throat...What gives?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You got called out because it was obvious that you were responding to my answer.. you just won't admit it. If your response wasn't toward me, why would you provide your initial answer then answer AGAIN right after I did (?) You scolded me for assuming that you were talking to me, but then assumed that I voted you down. I didn't say that boys playing w/ dolls was bad. I said that MINE don't and they WON'T when they get past a certain age.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 1:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011