Violent video games

Do they make children more violent or is it a cop out for bad parenting?

Kitkat61277

Asked by Kitkat61277 at 12:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• For the most part, cop out for bad parenting. I'm sure some kids cannot distinguish between game and reality, but then that all goes back to the parents for not properly teaching their kids, nor keeping the games that are MEANT for ADULTS away from their child. Our kids aren't allowed to play anything PG-13 or higher for video games.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Cop out. I have an awesome non violent son that played them and watched violent movies from an early age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think it's a cop-out for the most part but I also do think that there are kids out there who don't realize the difference between games and reality but it still falls on parents shoulders to make sure kids know games are fake.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Cop out
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't know, but what I do know is that every time I play Mario Brothers, I get the urge to go stomp on some mushrooms, kick some turtles, and bash my head into bricks.

Seriously, though...I think it's a cop out for the most part. They have the age and maturity guidelines for a reason. And even then, if you buy your kid "Shoot Every Freakin' Human 4" and he laughs as he guns down the little old ladies in the game, you should probably consider that he's not quite ready for that game.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, studies have shown that kids who are exposed to violence, real or in games, tend to be more violent as adults. I don't let my kids play realistic violent games. Everyone thinks "oh not MY kid" but let's face it - when someone gets murdered, somebody's kid killed them!

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• armyCOP OUT! We are a military family and my son(age 8) can play any game he wants especially military themed ones ( call of duty.etc.) and he can watch violent movies, and he might be the least violent 8 yo boy ihave ever met...lol. We teach our kids that guns save people ( army, police, etc.) and that violence has to be some times in order to help to rid the world of bad peole ( Iraq, Afghanastan, Syria...etc.) They know when certan things are good vs. bad!

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think it's a cop out. there were prople comitting horrible crimes before video games came along...
    It's up to the parent to decide what a kid can handle, and to teach them right from wrong- not tv-not games and not music
    *I don't think at very very young ages they should be playing them-because they don't "get" it...but when they are old enough to understand the difference between a game and reality and they seem to handle it ok then fine- my son did NOT deal with violence well until he was around 12...he would flip if we watched certain shows or certain movies if he was around - so we tried to avoid them.
    Now he is ok with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• *people not prople
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Cop-out....kids have always played the realistic violent video games and they arent violent at all.....we used to sit down as a family and massacre each other in games like Halo....as their parents we taught them the difference between fantasy and reality.....i think the same about tv and music....my kids listen to whatever and pretty much watch whatever
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2011