Maijuana and breastfeeding.

I have my medical marijuana card, but I have not used marijuana while pregnant. I like using natural alternatives instead of unnatural drugs. I am breastfeeding and plan to until DS is ready to stop. I wouldn't smoke it, just use it in eatibles and in teas. I have done the research and it shows no evidance of any harm. ( I would be using it for my depression). But I just wonder if that is illegal...I mean it's legal for me but is it legal to breastfeed doing so. I wonder because many woman take narcotics that are perscribed and continue to breastfeed, so really what would be the difference except less harm? I just don't want to be doing anything illegal that could get me in trouble...If you have/had your card and have breastfed, please comment with your experiance. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe if it is legally prescribed to you, you can't get in trouble for using it, nursing or not. This is a situation where you need to weigh the pros and cons of marijuana, western medicine, and no treatment against the pros and cons of nursing, using formula, etc. Don't let others upset you, it seems a lot of people don't realize that SOME people live where marijuana is legal for medicinal purposes. I also think that medical grade marijuana is probably safer then street marijuana, because you know exactly what it is, although I don't see a street dealer lacing their marijuana with potent, addictive, and expensive drugs just because (everyone always says -what if it's laced-)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ask your doctor. To my knowledge, living in cali where marijuana is treated as medicine, it is okay as long as your doctor says it is okay for both you and the baby, but again you need to check with your doctor. Most hospitals or insurances have advice nurses, I suggest starting there. Or discussing it with your Gyno
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well it's not prescribed to the baby but it will b in their system.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Forgive me in the post, I meant to say I have not used Marijuana whie breastfeeding. During my pregnancy I was perscribed marijuana being it was the safest for the unborn child. Now I am breastfeeding and on antidepressant medication, and it just doesn't work as well as the marijuana did. And I don't understand wen you say 'taking pills'...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Seriously? Natural drugs? It is an illegal drug no matter how you get it. And no real doctor will ever prescribe marijuana while breastfeeding because it will go right to the baby whether you smoke it or eat it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• please dont smoke weed and nurse your baby!
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 9:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Your best bet is going to be to ask your doctor.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Just ask the doctor who prescribed it. Marijuana can be used medically FYI to the people who are adamant it is not. Sometimes it's the lesser of two evils so to speak.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Oh please...dont let these judgemental women talk crazy to you. your fine, your baby will be fine, end of story. Marijuana IS LEGAL in some states and in some circumstances. People seriously need to wake up and realize the world is changing...marijuana is becoming much more acceptable in mainstream culture. Crack to run a marathon? Crack gives you ENERGY and you probably could run a marathon lol

It's not like your buying it off the street> You have a prescription meaning you are getting the real shit. you dont have to worry about it being laced...i've known plenty of people who have done the same thing as you..and their babies are completely normal healthy babies.

Just do what you feel most comfortable with and forget the ignorant "advice"
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some people can't read, it seems. I see people telling you not to smoke pot and nurse...after you've specifically stated that you will not be smoking it (which is healthier, because you're not bringing smoke into your lungs). Marijuana quite possible might be safer then some of the traditional drugs for depression (though, many ARE safe for nursing mothers). Like I said, you need to weigh ALL the pros and cons, and decide what is best for you and your baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011