How many of you did not get epidurals?

I did not with my 2 kids( 17 hour labor with one and 5 hour labor with the other) and I often get looked a little weird because I choose to have a labor with no pain reliever. It was a very important decision for me to do that because no woman in my family has had pain medication during labor and I wanted to uphold that. So do any of you choose to have an epidural free labor and why?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 4:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I chose natural childbirth with all 3 of our boys, because I wanted to nurse our boys the second they were in this world, and I didn't want any medication in my breastmilk. I also wanted to be able to get up, take a shower, and be ready to spend every minute with our babies. An epidural would have had to wear off, and there's no way I'm going to be stuck in a bed and not be able to take care of my Baby.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No epidural here! It wasn't my choice though, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to have one until after I became pregnant. Same goes if I ever have another baby, which I do want. Now that I've went through it, I know it's going to suck for a while, but it's so worth it. :)
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 6:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I did not get an epidural for the first 2. I was 19 and 21 the first 2 times.. the next 3 I took an epidural.. of course I had a harder time delivering those 3. I'm glad I'm done having kids.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 1st born, i had a c-section. Back then, i had the choice of being put to sleep. And my other 3 were all natural births.....no medication, my choice.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have 5 kids. Didn't get an epidural with any of them.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I had an epidural with my first and that was GREAT, i didnt get it until i was 7.5 cm i wanted to wait and BE STRONG..lol ! My second, well thats another story... I planned for an epidural, they NEVER TOLD ME that there could be a situation when the anesthesiologist could be busy and can't get to me, WELL IT HAPPENED, my goodness the pain was insane, i couldn't even get the "local meds" that they usually give to natural birth moms because it was too late, his heart rate was dropping and I was scared to death to push,I also had oxygen which kept me flat to the bed, could not move for any relief because the oxygen kept coming off and the heart rate monitor was coming off my belly..... but then.. had no choice, his heart rate was too low had to get him out! The worst pain i ever felt in my life. And i am a tuff cookie..lol ahhhh memories...
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I did with my first 3 kids then my last 3 I didn't, even though I got pitocin with my last I still would chose not to get the epidural again, I get looked at like I am crazy to.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I had an epidural with my oldest and my youngest but not with my middle. With my oldest there were a lot of complications so even the docs thought I would be having a c-section. Everything done during labor was done in case of a c-section. With my middle child, I almost didn't make it to the hospital in time. I got all checked in, the nurse went to check me and started yelling for the doc because my son was crowning. Labor pains had only felt like strong cramps all day and I really expected to be sent home because of braxton hicks or something. I had more complications with my youngest. 24 hours of non progressive labor due to too much fluid and my son not engaging. Ultra sound showed the cord wrapped around his neck and they were afraid if my water broke the cord would come out first and strangle him. I did end up delivering naturally though thanks to a very talented and quick thinking young doctor!
    CandyceG

Answer by CandyceG at 8:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• BTW: I definately prefered the birth of my middle child! Labor, delivery and recovery all seemed easier with him then the rest. I really wish the other 2 had not been so complicated and I could have passed up the epidural.
    CandyceG

Answer by CandyceG at 8:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I've had 3 all natural pain FILLED births so far.  ;)  And currently planning for another one.  I am not "strong" or "awesome" for it, lol.  I got to the hospital too late with my 1st to get anything so when I got pregnant again I said to hell with it, already did it once without pain meds, I'll do it again.  I didn't start listening to other mamas about their epidural disasters until I joined this site.  I am getting ready to have another baby and I must admit that the pain meds are screaming in my ear.  They do that every time, lol. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011