How long should I wait before trying for baby #2?

my son is 9 months old now. i was thinking we would wait until he's in kindergarten, but maybe thats too far apart.

What are some opinions and experiences you ladies have?

Gidgetsafreaq

Asked by Gidgetsafreaq at 5:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 2 DD's are 51/2 years apart. I think I waited to long to have my second child.

Answer by louise2 at 5:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My first son will be four on May 3rd, and I'm due to have baby #2 on May 8th. I personally think this was a little too long to wait because he has been an only child at home with mom for four solid years, and that mom-only time will now have to be shared with a younger brother.
    My ideal time would be 2-3 years apart. My husband is in the military and it was agreed that we would only have one child while he was deployed. I knew there was no way I could handle having him gone and two children running around! As soon as he got back and was stationed on shore duty, I got pregnant :)
    enohp04

Answer by enohp04 at 6:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 1st dd is 22 months older than my 2nd
    and
    My 2nd dd is 18 months older than my 3rd

My 3rd dd is 14 months old and we are going to wait until she is 2 before trying for a 4th child.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If I knew then, what I know now.... well....:D
    Ok, seriously. I highly recommend having a second child just a half year or a year before the first goes into K. This way you can teach the first child, that that baby belongs to that first child. This builds a bond between siblings that you might not get them to share if the second child comes when the first needs attention for K activities. This also lets the new baby have an adjustment time before it gets to dependent on the first child. The baby will also be a perfect age when the K goes to school to be in the classroom so you can volunteer and stay active in your first child's life.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 7:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Wait to have one till you know for certain that you can handle AND afford a 2nd one.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not sure this will help, but...I have 4 wonderful kids...and when I had my first two, both boys, they were only 19 months apart...It was simply crazy! Then my third came when my DS was a month from turning 3, this was better, but still difficult! Then years later, my DD, my 3 child, was 7 when I had my youngest DD...And I have to say, having my youngest so far apart...7 yrs, 10yrs, and 11yrs between my older kids has been amazing!!! I know it seems crazy but if I had known how much easier it would have been I might have spent a few more yrs devoting attention to them before having their siblings! It may not be for everyone, but there are definate perks to having so many yrs in between. By the way, yes they fuss...but my DD is just wonderful to her little sister and my youngest is the apple of all the other kids eye...They all just adore her!!
    momto4lilangels

Answer by momto4lilangels at 8:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Man I just don't know if I would have the energy to he more than 1 in diapers at a time lol. Mine are 6 and 3 months, and the 6 yo helps out a lot and I love it!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son and twins are 19mos apart, it was pretty good for me, he was walking and talking some before I had more. But it just depends on you. Idk if I would go as far as kindergarten only because he will be in school and you will have some of the day kid free, and about 4 years from now that will be nice, I wouldnt want to start over then. Maybe when he is 3 or so. He will be walking, and talking, and possibly even potty trained. I think that would be a good time, but like I said it is up to you oh and you SO! lol
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'd wait until the 1st was about 3 at a minimum.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My kids were 6 years apart on purpose. It was wonderful because I could give them both lots of individual attention when they were babies. My son was in K when my daughter was born. It was perfect for us! She was in taking a nap when he'd come home from school so our "talking/milk & cookie time" wasn't interrupted for many months. He also doted on her and she adored him. That's what I planned for but some just like kids closer. Work wise, it's probably easier when they are at least three years apart. That way you probably won't have two in diapers at the same time. Good luck to you!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011