IS THIS NORMAL??

MY 2 YEAR OLD SEEMS TO HAVE BAD DREAMS EVERY NIGHT..
IN HIS SLEEP HE STARTS SCREAMING AND KICKING AND CALLING ME OUT..
I TRY TO CALM HIM DOWN BY HUGGING HIM AND TRYING TO WAKE HIM UP AND LETTING HIM KNOW THAT IM RIGHT HERE BUT HE PUSHES ME AWAY N HITS ME UNTIL HE WAKES UP AND CALMS DOWN AND THEN GOES BACK TO SLEEP..
IS THIS NORMAL?
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HIM NOT HAVE BAD DREAMS SO OFTEN?

torres15k

Asked by torres15k at 6:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does it seem like he is awake? Are his eyes open? Does it usually happen about an hour after he falls asleep? Is he very sweaty? can you tell when he wakes up, and does he fall right back asleep not remembering it? Does it get worse if he is sick?
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sounds like night terrors, but I have no offers of advice. Sorry :( Try researching night terrors or talking to his pediatrician.
    SPreece

Answer by SPreece at 7:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If the answer is Yes to most of these, he is having night terrors- not bad dreams.
    1. Make sure he is cool enough. Over heating can trigger them, which is why they can get worse if he has a fever. Don't let him wear socks to bed.
    2. He needs some white noise. Either play very soft classical music in his room, or have a fan going or a white noise machine.
    3. is he potty trained? if so, have him get up and go pee, usually the act of peeing will wake up my son.
    4. don't try to restrain him. Just talk quietly to him, reassure him you are here, but hugging him could make him panic more.
    5. try putting a damp tepid washcloth on the soles of his feet. It might help wake him gently, and it will cool him down.
    6. Look up Night Terrors.
    7. He'll grow out of it, most probably. My son is 11 and hasn't had one in about a year, and eventually stopped getting them regularly, and only got them when he was sick or very overtired
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My youngest has nightmares she is 9 she has been having them since she was a baby. Until about 5 years ago she would wake up at the same time every night sceaming. I talked to the dr and he said it was just nightmares. I'd say your littleone is having night terrors. Talk to the dr it can't hurt. But in all honesty there isn't anything that can be done. No medicine that can be taken. Good luck and God bless.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sounds like night terrors. Used to happen to my son anytime he was overtired. He would wake up exactly one hour after falling asleep, crying, screaming, kicking, etc. We would just make sure he couldn't hurt himself and try to gently coax him back to sleep. He would never have any recollection of it happening and eventually outgrew it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My oldest who's now 11 use to have these "bad dreams" too around the age 24 to 36 months. We found out though it was what we were letting him watch on TV. He loved Scooby Doo, and so he watched all the time, well Scooby Doo, is scary to a small child as a lot of cartoons and shows are now for little kids. Even if he's watching Gabba Gabba or Elmo some of those "monsters" are pretty scary looking for small kids. I really hope that is something as simple as changing what he watches late in the day or before bed. GOOD LUCK!
    momof3sboys

Answer by momof3sboys at 7:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It could be night terrors. With them, I think you're supposed to wake them up half an hour before they tend to occur. That's supposed to break the cycle. I'd double check with his doctor.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2011