Bio dad not complying with a court order adult content

It states in the parenting plan that my sons bio dad pays 50 percent of all out of pocket expenses, and half of his schooling. Also he was issued to obtain a life insurance policy as well as the judge issued me to obtain a life insurance policy. He has not complied with the order is that grounds for contempt? I am not really sure what I should do.

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 7:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• You have to be prepared for the worst to happen. Either he starts paying because you take him back to court, the court can dock his pay and allocate you funds directly. Or he looses his job and becomes a complete bum that lives off the grid so he can avoid paying you child support. Either can happen, and I wish you the best of luck.
    Do me a favor first, read up on it as much as you can. Go to an attorney that does counseling. Find out as much as you possibly can before taking your ex to court.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 7:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It is grounds, however its the judge's discretion whether or not he holds him accountable, from my experience judges like to give several chances if he/she sees even an ounce of effort from the father. He could fine him, or give him a jail sentence.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes it's grounds for contempt of court. The judge will issue a warrant if you press the matter. You have to get him back to court to get the judge to do anything about it. Be prepared for him to go to jail, get his licences revoked and or his pay check garnished. Id insist the judge garnish his pay so you always get a check when he has a job. All you need to do is show his employer the court order for garnishment if he dosnt.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have been back to court on this matter of him not paying the out of pocket expenses since back in 2008-2009 and he still hasn't complied. Brought him back maybe five times and nothing is still not done, so I really don't know what to do?
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes it's grounds. My ex was found in contempt for not bringing my kids back home on time after visitation - they would be 2 to 3 hours laters than they were supposed to be here. The Judge suspended the jail sentence but he was found in contempt and it's in the records.

Answer by missanc at 8:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2011