Last week my son (11 months old) went to the ER because he cut his head open, falling on the coffee table.........

The dr. used a skin glue to close the cut, and then he put a tape over it... I didn't think anything of it until now, bc the tape is starting to peel. He said to trim the tape as it peels off. (Impossible! It's a baby and I am not going to cut my his eye. He doesn't even hardly let me cut his nails, I am NOT taking a scissor to his eye) MY problem is - I don't know that the glue was dry yet when he put on the adhesive tape. So I think he glued the cut shut AND glued on the tpe bc he didn't let the glue set first. He did it really fast. I am afraid that it isn't going to heal bc the tape is glued to the cut...???? The tape is now dirty and gross - He's just turning one and into everything - impossible to keep perfectly clean. I'm just nervous about the way the dr did things.... It's been about a week, I don't know why I'm so concerned now... I don't know what to do. I really think he GLUED the tape to the wound.... :( ??

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Health

• Try trimming it when the child is asleep. Same with the nails Clip when the child is asleep. Leave the tape on for as long as the ER told you to. Trim the nasty tape off as the child sleeps. The glue the ER used is designed to wear off as the cut heals and when it's healed enough the tape will fall off.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i would certainly take him to his doctor for any concerns. Sounds like it needs to be fixed =] GL!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I would take him to his pediatrican and let them look at it and see what needs to be done.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with calling your baby's doctor if you are concerned.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• call your pediatrician!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Call and ask. My suspicion is that probably the best bet is to ignore the tape, and it'll all fall off as the cut heals, anyway.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with trimming the dirty tape as the doctor told you to. I like the idea of doing it while he's sleeping or maybe using nail clippers intead of scissors? It sounds to me like the tape is supposed to be glued to the wound until it heals, but I also agree that you should see his doctor if you're really concerned. For a head wound like that, you might want to be checking in with his doctor anyway!
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 8:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If you don't want to cut the tape his Dr or nurse will do it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Take him to the DR if you are concerned.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• should be fine, i agree talk to the dr if you are worried.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011