could the u/s be wrong?

So i went to the dr about 2 weeks ago and this has been bothering me. according to my period i should have been 8 weeks. dr does a pelvic exam says im about 8-9 weeks. does an ultrasound and says im only 6 and a half weeks. but if you go by my last period thats impossible. so according to my u/s im 8 weeks but according to my period (lmp-9/24/08) i should be about 9-10 weeks. is my u/s wrong? could the baby be small? im also starting to show but this is my second pregnancy so idk if that means anything. i just wana know how far along i am. any advice or similar situation?

blondie09

Asked by blondie09 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It was wrong with my second pregnancy. According to my last period I should have been a month ahead of what I was. The ultrasound was right & I was wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 12:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Usually the first u/s is really accurate, it's even more accurate than and u/s down the road. I asked this question too and I go to a group of specialists for a high risk pregnancy.... they said the u/s is almost always right (within a couple days of course).... so I'd say they are right and it's not that big of a difference anyways so I'd say relax!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• This is my third pregnacy but I think I've done more research with this one than any of the others(probably because I have this laptop). Now, when I went to a website to get the estimated due date based on my last period there was a place that you could put your information in and get the date of conception. And as I see it, the process takes a couple weeks from your last period before you are actually pregnant.

Take me for example:

Last Period date: September 20, 2008
    Ovulation date: Fri, October 3rd ,2008
    Conception date: Sat, October 4th ,2008
    Implantation date: Sun, October 12th ,2008
    Due date: Sat, June 27th ,2009

Hope this was helpful.

futuremrs608

Answer by futuremrs608 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• YEAH, THEY ARE LOOKING AT DEVELOPEMENT, NOT SIZE.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 12:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Actually they look at both in a first u/s! They do measurements of the little jelly bean, to them it's more than we see. The measure the fluid, the sac... everything, that's how they get a date... not by development
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm right there with you girl. My last period was 3-27-08 and I ovulated exactly 14 days after, which by those, my first doctor gave me a due date of Dec 31. Then when I went to my OB for a U/S, they said she was measuring at so many wks and moved my due date to Jan 12. It's wierd, but you can only really know when you go into labor when you were really due.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008