Picky eaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my son is 1 year old, and is suchhhhhhhh a picky eater! He will nolonger eat baby food, or baby oatmeal. And spits out almost anything else i give him. He was on a french toast and waffle kick a week ago, and now refuses to eat them. He will eat ceral (with soy milk he is allergic to milk protein). And he will eat soup with carrots and peas and stars (thank God). BUT i can't give him soup for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

What do i do?!?!?!?! Does anybody have anygood ideas for any of these meals?!?!

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 8:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Offer him food you know he has eaten in the past and he will either eat it or he won't but I wouldn't become a short order chef. That is only going to prolong the phase. If he is hungry he will eat. Are you eating as a family or feeding him separate? Sometimes eating all together encourages them to eat what is on everyone plate.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'm sure you've been through the list and tried most things though. I would just make a small variety of choices for each meal (offer a protein, carb, fruit, & veggie for each meal) and refuse to fix anything else; he should be able to find something from a plate of choices that he will eat. Some ideas for food choices: toast with Soy peanut butter (too young to expose to peanuts), Soy yogurt (easy to freeze into a popsicle too if he doesn't like it the regular way), scrambled eggs,fruit, applesauce, "Veggie cheese", turkey bacon, grits,..... just keep trying anything new, and he'll come around.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• At 1, my son ate whatever everyone else was eating for that meal or he didn't eat. It wasn't long until the next meal/snack. My toddler is now 2 and I'll ask him if he wants a grilled cheese or a turkey sandwich for lunch so he has some choice, but those are his only two choices and he has to choose from those.

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• no matter what you do.. don't let him hear you say he is a picky eater.. he will become one and think that is good.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My daughter likes to dip anything! I got her to eat chicken by getting those "chicken fries", chicken nuggets shaped like french fries. She really likes broccoli too, (I know weird). She likes corn, canned string beans, plain noodles- or speghettios with most of the sauce rinsed off. Snacks are ritz with peanut butter, raisins, grapefruit, apples, toast with butter and a little cinnamon and sprinkle of sugar. Breakfast, waffles and I take frozen blueberries, and pour the blueberry juice in her syrup, Loves. My new trick is putting things in different bowls and plates, in one meal. She thinks it's cool to move things from one to the other, mix them, and I find she's eating more in the long run. Takes a little longer but I don't mind, she's enjoying her meals. (and even if I wouldn't dip that particular item in something, i give her a little bowl of dipping "sauce" and say dip dip, she mimics me and goes on eating.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 11:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I meant to add she is 17 months old.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 12:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son was extremely picky too, and still is. Then I found out around 18 months that he has a Sensory Processing disorder. It is literally painful for him to eat foods of a certan texture or taste. Feed him what works and try new foods, even unusual things you may not eat like squash or sweet potatoes cooked and diced. Try them plain or with salt and pepper. Try giving him sauces to dip in and offer several choices at mealtimes. Just try to be flexible. I agree that you shouldn't become a short order chef, but when your baby is so picky they're only eating one thing, just feed them what they'll eat for a while. My son did grow out of it some, but it took a long time. Now he has a handful of meals that he will eat. It's frustrating, but I know that him eating is more important than making him tow a line. Call me crazy, but that's what I went through. Good luck! I hope he grows out of it.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my 14 month old eats....scrambled eggs,french toast,waffles,cereal,english muffins,toast,bagels,and oatmeal for breakfast.......ham cut up,cheese cut up,bananas,grapes.green beans,grilled cheese for lunch......mashed potatoes,green beans,hotdogs,pizza,or breakfast again for dinner........snacks on rice cakes,pretzel sticks,grahm crackers,and dry cereal. Its hard to get her to eat veggies and fruit. And no meat except ham or hotdogs(once in a while)
    I think im gonna try the chicken fries idea.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 5:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011