Why is it that poor, middle class people are getting money taken but the rich people are getting big tax breaks and they don't take from them?

Isn't that kind of ridiculous? (No offense to the rich people on here) but were getting drained bone dry. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Poor people get taxed? I could have sworn they get all their taxes back and earned income credit? Not to mention did you not know the top 5% of the country already pays more then 80% of the taxes in this country? That means the top 5% pay for the schools, roads, hwys, and everything else. Now I am not poor but am middle class and my parents are part of that top 5% and I dont find it completely fair to ask my parents to support me or pay all the taxes for me because I dont make alot. Its the same thing. Why would you want to rely on just the top 5% for everything? You know they could just leave the country.
    Anonymous

• you are kidding right? That question is almost as easy as what color are the clouds.....

BUSH is in the house. DUH?
    SarahSails

Answer by SarahSails at 1:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Blaming Bush is a cop out. Poor and middle class arent the same thing. I am not poor, but I am middle class. I don't think corporations should have loop holes on taxes, but they are employing all these "poor, middle class" people. Just FYI. If an individual makes X amt of money, the pay a certain percentage of taxes based on their exemptions. They are already paying more taxes than people who don't earn as much. I don't think we should be taxing the fool out of people who have done well for themselves. I highly doubt the poor and middle class are paying a whole lot of taxes unless youre single and have no kids. Thats the bracket that gets hit the hardest. My dh pays 25% of his paycheck in taxes, but in Jan...I get most of it back. So the IRS works off of the interest they made on me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• This is where the "flat tax" becomes the great equalizer...everyone...including illegal immigrants would be paying taxes just by shopping for food, etc.

I pay more than 30% of my income in taxes...kids grown...small house...just me and hubby at home. Is it fair?
    Anonymous

• It SHOULD be theother way around but the politicians are RICH people with RICH friends, rich businessmenn, rich lobbiest's and the list goes on and on. Untill WE the people VOTE these BAD apples OUT of office or Demand more oversight and regulation's on lobbiests and favors from them to our elected officals the problem is only going to get worse.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Who's taking money from 'poor people'? They don't even pay taxes, so what do you mean?
    Anonymous

• I think the first anon answer summed things up perfectly.
    Anonymous

• Yeahhhhhhh, anon 1:12! I am all for the fair tax. We could do away with those SOB's in the IRS! One less govt. system that doesn't work right.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• In addition to 1st anon, I would like to add the following: If you are poor you pay no taxes, the rich are being taxed and they pay more taxes than you do. They make more money. Why is that poor people just expect a hand out because they too lazy to get an education, like those are "rich" and have worked hard to get where they are at. No only do you get your money back you probably get more than you put in, you cannot count SS, FICA or other state taxes, you can only count the federal taxes you pay. The more deductions you take Single people also get taxed more because one they are not married and two they have no children. This question comes up quite often, but yet these same people only brag about how wonderful it is to be on welfare.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 4:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• The rich pay 80 percent of the taxes so clearly the poor (who pay no taxes or get back all they pay in taxes and then some) and middle income are not being screwed over. The top 5-10 percent already pay more than their fair share.  Some in our country need to quit worrying about what others are doing and get their own life together. 

Anonymous