Does "Extreme Couponing" = Extreme Hoarding?

So I was excited to watch Extreme Couponing las night thinking that I was going to get some good tips on how to save money. Instead I watched these people hoarding all this stuff that they won't use for years to come. Was anyone else disappointed in the show?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 8:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Entertainment

• I was very disappointed. I imagined we would be given some tips on how to do it, not just watch the people that do. And yes I agree, in most of those cases it does seem to equal hoarding.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I found the program to be absolutely fascinating and I did learn some tricks. However, I do agree that the coupon divas and dudes are not that different from extreme hoarders in terms of the obsessive-compulsive and shopaholic aspects. All of the Extreme Couponers are control freaks, plain and simple, you can't tell me that their behaviors don't negatively affect those around them between the obsessive planning and overly frequent shopping trips. I find it interesting that the couponer's form of OCD is socially supported where the hoarder's form is socially rejected and it's all down to how nice the couponers "stockpiles" look in comparison to a hoarder's garage full of random stuff.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• hoarding means accumulating and not getting rid of anything. these people are using this stuff and it's all usable...food, cleaning supplies etc...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• www.mylitter.com is one of the ladies websites and she does show you how to do it.
    CABlonde

• Those people are the Nut Job side of couponing. There are easy wonderful ways to coupon and plenty of site to help you. I do it. I have a huge binder of coupons and save around 50% of every grocery total, BUT, I ONLY buy what we can use and handle. I do NOT have some crazy stockpile. That is not only WRONG in the eyes of MOST couponers, but, wrong period.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• YOu can find many coupon helper pages on Facebook that can help you ;learn. They all have blogs.

I buy my coupons from http://www.thecouponclippers.com/ or print them for free or get them through promotions and sign ups by brand sites.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was doing a lot of sale shopping + couponing about 2 years ago, and ended up stocked up on toothpaste, soap, canned goods, etc, that I thought would be enough to last for years. Now that we're finally running out of these things, I can't seem to get back into the habits of sale shopping + couponing and am disappointed every time I have to pay more than I think I should be paying for those items.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 8:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Check out the coupon wizards. They are on facebook and their website is http://coupon-wizards.com/ (sorry I don't know how to make it clickable). They are very informative. Instead of extreme couponing they like to say they do effective couponing. They are big on only buying what you need (such as a 3 month stockpile since that is how often things go on sale for the cheapest) and not just buying things because they are on sale. They offer free webinars for you take to learn the basics and get started. Check them out.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Most of the coupon sites I use recommend using those stockpiles of stuff you can't possibly use or won't use, and donating it to charity. I never thought of that and am going to start using coupons to get stuff for free or pennies that I can then turn around and donate!

I can't really comment on the show because I have never seen it. I have wanted to but we don't have cable, and it sounds like I would be disappointed since they aren't giving tips.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with Micheledo...I think it is kind of a waste to "not buy" something you could get for free or darn close to it. Even if it isn't something that you would use yourself, it is something that you could donate.

I coupon, and I have about a months worth of everything. My rule is usually if I won't use it in 3 months, I don't buy it...or, with food, if it will expire before I use it, no way. I do think it can be a slippery slope though!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2011