Teacher's assistant says my DD is 'very dramatic'?

Apparently my DD, who is 8 and in the 2nd grade, is having some trouble getting along with her 'friends' at school. The teacher's assistant stopped me this morning at drop off to tell me this, along with her observation that DD is a very dramatic little girl. I always thought this was pretty typical behavior, and to be honest, I'm a little miffed at the TA. Is this normal little girl, or should I be worried about her? What can I do to help my DD?

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 8:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In a parent pick up line I have never found it appropriate for comments about a day or behaviors of concern. E-mails, phone conversations, or in person conferences are a more appropriate place for having a discussion about behaviors of concern. Telling a parent in 60 seconds or less, during parent drop off or pick up, leaves a parent confused and speechless. No time to ask more questions to determine if this is something I need to be concerned with or not. If this was me I would call the school and request the teaching assistant and the teacher call me back at their convenience.  I would remind the TA she had mentioned my daughter was dramatic and I would like some more clarifications and if they thought, in their opinion, this flair for the dramatic is interfering with my child's ability to learn.  Since school is in the business of teaching academics that is my primary concern.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think both. I think it is normal behavior that you should be doing something about. Sounds like it is affecting her freindships and you need to be working on her reactions and how to interact with people. I have been doing this with my dd and so have a few other moms in her class. I can see which girls have moms who think they can do no wrong in my dd's class. Trust me it is better to actively work on behavior with your dd. It doesnt make her a bad kid, it makes her a normal girl who is learning how to live in the world.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i would like to input as a former teacher....Sometimes teacher assistants see things differently than her main teacher would. I would take this as a favor. They sometimes see things the main teacher does not pick up on or sees a different side of them, say at recess or in the cafeteria-when the real child's personality comes out...at least the social one.
    I would ask the teacher assistant what she meant. I would like to know how is she dramatic? Could she be doing things or saying things just to get people to like her?....Then, like ria7 suggested in so many words, I would fortify your relationship with her at home. Get her to talk and reveal to you how she carries herself. then take it from there...Go to the main teacher if need be.
    You are doing the right thing, Mama. More mamas should be like you....loving and calm.....Good luck!!!!!!
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 8:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My dd used to tell me about what the other kids were doing and then she wold react. We talked about what other options were so she had other ideas on ways to react to their bahavior. we also talked about how you cant change what other people are doing. If you want the situation to change then the only person you can change is yourself. (this was not a bullying situation) Ex. One snotty spoiled girl would hound my dd everyday and ask her a million questions and wasjust very annoying. My dd tried to avoid her. This girl would send out her posse of "spies" on the playground to see what my dd was talking about or playing. My dd would call them out and say "go away" of "leave me alone". Thy continued this until my dd was very frustrated. We talked about how we cant change the other girl. I explained to my dd that a+b=c. If you can change A then the only way to get a different answer is to change B.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• To me it sounds like your child is cutting up in class and losing friends over it. Maybe "dramatic" was the politest way the assistant could think of to tell you that your angel is misbehaving.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My dd began to smile at the spies and ask thm if they would like to join her and her friend for the game. Wehave basically had to discuss alot of school situations and talk thru lots of possible outcomes. I am sick of girl drama and I wish other parents were also actively working on their girls so it would get better faster. I would go back the the TA and ask her for some examples so you have something to start working with.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I would talk to DD and then call for a parent teacher meeting. Mention what the TA said as well as what you DD said and then go form there to get to the bottom of what is actually going on and what can be done to help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It is pretty common for girls that age, but I would talk with the TA again and ask her to explain it to you. Please don't discount what this person said because they are a teacher's assistant. Often times, these are the people who spend more time with the children. They see them at lunch, at recess, in the classroom. More time to see the interactions that could cause her to say that your daughter is on the dramatic side. Also, classroom titles have nothing to do with experience. I have known TA with twice the experience of the teachers whose classrooms they work in.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Then if I would ask if it is causing any social impairments as far as getting along with others in the class. If if impacts her learning I would continue the conversation and explore some options for at school and home. If it impacts her socially and emotionally I would certainly want to assist my child at home in ways to manage those thoughts and emotions. If it neither impacts her learning or impacts her socially/emotionally - I would let it go. Everyone has an opinion. All this TA has is her opinion. I can take it or leave it based on the information I receive. I would make a polite suggestion that car lines in not the place to address concerns about my child and I would personally prefer the phone or e-mail. And I would also give them my updated contact information.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ignore her .is not the proper word o a teacher or tell her superviser just an observation of her language?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011