Do you try and eat locally grown produce?

If so, why?

EBee12

Asked by EBee12 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes - mostly to support our local farmers than anything else. But I also believe that the fresher the produce, the more "good stuff" is still in there!

Answer by missanc at 8:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, to support local farmers and the stuff at the farmer's market is fresher than the crap coming from Chile. Even our WalMart sells stuff from local growers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It is very difficult here to eat locally until the warmer months come. Then we try our best to eat locally. It reduces the amount the food has to travel from field to plate. It increases the freshness as well. An asparagus from the garden tastes so much better than one from the store.

Happily, we are able to reduce the travel time even more in the summer as we have 3 plots in a community garden and our own huge garden. We have peas and asparagus going now and will get the beets and carrots in this weekend.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, because it supports our local economy & the quality is so much better. It' also nice to be able to talk to our local farmers & learn about their farming practices and how they are producing our food. We can even visit the farms themselves & actually see how it's done.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, it's more nutritious the sooner you eat it after it's been picked. It's also so much tastier! I'm a big proponent of supporting local farmers and businesses. I enjoy going to the farmer's market and picking up what's in season and knowing exactly where my food comes from. You'll often find things you can't get at the grocery store, and you can actually ask the farmer about it!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We have several farmers that do roadside stands here, and their produce is SOOOO much better than what you would get in the stores and equally reasonably priced. I LOVE showing my support for them and having the better produce is a bonus!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well, I went to our new local farmers market last summer so excited to support local farmers only to find that the prices were out of my price range! It was like $6 for 4 tomatoes and they wanted $8 for a watermelon. There was stand selling local honey(which we did suck it up an buy) but 6 oz was $11!! I ended up buying nothing else because I couldn't fathom spending half my grocery budget there when I could get vegetables at the grocery for half the price. If I notice at the grocery it is grown in my state I am glad to buy it but I just buy what I need.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• In the summer that's all we eat - we have a huge garden, and I get other stuff from the farmers market. Unless I do a ton of canning & freezing, it's impossible to eat local produce through the cold months - nothing grows in winter in Iowa!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No, however I do shop at Farmers markets a few times throughout the year.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011