Can you have strep throat without running a fever?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Health

• Yes.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, but very unlikely.

Answer by older at 8:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yup
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• In fact, I had strep throat once, no fever, a mild sore throat for less than one day. Had a panic attack out of nowhere, went to the er, they did a strep test and it was positive. They gave me antibiotics and ativan, too.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No,u can't because strep is an infection and it will make u have a fever. I work in the medical field.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My youngest did. He had a very light fever, never got over 100.5 (DD tends to go to 104 when she gets it.) We wouldn't have known except that he had a seizure and we had to take him to the ER.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If u catch it at the very beginning there may be a little rise in temp.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I had strep not too long ago...absolutely NO FEVER. You CAN have strep w/o having a fever. And I had it for at least 3 days before I had gone to the dr about it! (Caught it too late on Friday, and dr office closed through weekend.)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes...it actually is quite common but can be more serious because having no fever you probably wouldn't think to go to the Dr. so it can do more damage
    ZsMommy

Answer by ZsMommy at 9:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yep. My youngest had that. He wasn't acting like himself but he had no fever. After a few days I knew something was wrong. We went in and the doctor said his throat was red so ran a test. It came back positive.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2011