How do I encourage my children to lower the volume?

My older two children (boys 3 & 4) live at high volume and it causes LOTS of issues in the house. I have a 3mo old, who obviously needs her rest, and I suffer with Migraines on a regular basis and I have an inner ear condition. In addition the down stairs neighbor HATES noise and likes to sleep most of the day.

I understand they are going to play and play requires sound, that's not the issue. What is the issue is that my kids could be sitting right next to you and they are screaming when they talk. I'm constantly stopping them and saying "indoor voice" but it never works more than a minute. They wake the baby, and literally make it painful for me to be in the same room with them.

What are some tricks to encouraging them to use a quieter voice? My SIL does the same thing the boys do, her volume is WAY UP. And everyone who knows her complains about it. I really don't want my kids to get to that point. I've had their ears checked, both were fine. They simply talk LOUD!

Are there games or other things that could help them learn a decent volume level? I hate always sending them to their room to play, but if they play in my kitchen or living room (both right off of my bedroom) the baby can't sleep and I feel like my ears are going to pop off... And playing with them is painful!! So I can't do it nearly as much as I want to.

HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL It's a boy thing I think.... my 4 yr old DS is the same way, while my DD wasn't so bad!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• have you had their hearing checked? then it's time to explain indoor vs. outside voices.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Like I said, I have had their ears checked, and everything was fine. And I do the indoor / outdoor voices, but it's just not working. And it's affecting the relationship I can have with my kids...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I disagree, Crafty. I think if you have multiples of one gender, its that gender...My son is very quiet compared to his sisters...and the girls SCREECH. They've calmed down a lot now (youngest is 4 1/2), and they are all in school. Have you tried looking into getting them into a head start program? I know it has done wonders for my youngest!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I feel for you, Mama. You have little ones who have yet to learn how to control their voices, or the way they act. They are doing what comes naturally.
    You do not mention a TV....If you have one on at any time, limit the time they see it and be very selective about what they watch..Sweet precious children's programs..
    Does the bedroom have a door? Can you get a monitor for your child so you can shut it?
    You can put cotton in your ears....Take a lesson from your SIL....High volume voice generates high volume kids, because they are modeling what they see...You can talk in a whisper, and talk to SIL about doing the same. Show her how well it works with your kids...
    Are you able to get them out to a park to let off some pent up energy?
    I will pray for you....I have had to do some things like what I described to make living with my only child, a Down Syndrome teenager, bearable....Soft and precious the whole way around. :)
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• A friend of mine had a child that yelled everytime he talked. She explained to him that when he yelled like that, she COULD NOT HEAR HIM. She followed thru by reminding him every time he yelled that she could not hear him. After a few days, less than a week, he stopped yelling. The other thing is, as a pp said, talk to them about indoor vs outdoor voices.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• we sing the song inside voice quiet outside voice big and loud it seems to work for our family
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2011