Do you agree with Doctors giving parents a prescription for their children's vaccines as any other prescription medication?

Meaning that if your child were to have the Polio vaccine first the parent would have to obtain the vaccines through a Doctors Prescription at the hospital/pharmacy and then handle it to the nurse or doctor to administer the shot. By doing this would allow parents to read the insert/label for information. Parents could also ask the pharmacist any questions they might have since parents complaint that Pediatricians only have limited time for their questions and concerns. This question is coming after a friend who is a receptionist at dr's office mentioned that she is seeing parents delaying or asking for waivers to the doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This is a good point. Some "small" private practices don't have the adequate equipment to preserve the vaccines
    --

By contractural requirements and licensure requirements, the office cannot provide a service unless the site provides adequate means to do it correctly and in a safe manner. A fridge that is specifically labeled and designated for meds and vaccines is required on site if they are charging patients and ins. companies for the service. If they don't have the proper means to administer it, they cannot charge for it or perform it.
    Is this why you think the pharmacy might be providing the vaccines?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't vaccinate, but honestly, I don't think this would encourage more vaccine education. Parents don't get more education because they trust their doctor. If their doctor gave them the Rx and said they were safe, even if they gave them the paperwork, the parents wouldn't read it, they would go blindly, like so many do now...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The staff has to keep the label with the product and where it is kept for reference. Any patient can request to read the insert prior to having the vaccination. If you have insurance, your carrier may provide 24 hour nurselines for informative discussions regarding the same. Seems to me, people are doing what they want to instead of using the resources that were already available to them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The only reason we ever gave a patient a RX for a vaccine, was because they were a bad debt and vaccines were too expensive to give and not be reimbursed for. We didn't need to incur more debt from a parent who didn't pay for their vaccines patient payment responsibility. Pharmacies reserve the right to not provide the product until payment is made in full without liability or recourse.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Patients are required to sign consent forms prior to a procedure. If the Dr is not providing the informed consent forms, get a new Dr.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Parents need to take responsibility for the care of their children.---

oh but that would eliminate a lot of needless whining and wrongful blame!! :o)
    personal responsibility..just do it! you can not blame the doc/nurse/pharmacist for not doing YOUR homework!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I handled it this way- I know and trust my doctor- we have a good relationship- I asked if his kids were vaxed- they are- that together with my own reading lead me to believe vaxing was in the best interest of my children.

I do not think a prescription would change anyones mind one way or the other-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I delayed and selectively vaccinates because I HAD read all the information available on vaccines. If I felt that my pediatrician didn't have time for my questions, I would find one that did!

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My doctors office has always been very good at informing you of the risk/benefits of vaccines. I think you would end up with a lot of parents who never picked up the vaccine because it would be extra effort on there part there for lowering the number of children being vaccinated and opening us up to whole new epidemics. As it stands children who are not vaccinated are the minority but if it was the other way around imagine how diseases would spread. What we vaccinate for is not eradicated diseases they are alive and well and if we discontinued vaccinating they would take over. Doctors should be required to offer a facts sheet so parents can decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• our ped always gave fact sheets on each vaccine, and always MADE TIME to answer questions anytime we had one, even though his was one of the busiest practices in the city.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011