Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If a father chooses not to see their child should they sign their rights over?

My sons dad barely sees his son, he is not involved in his sons life, he chooses to see him very little but refuses to sign his rights over what is your opinion

Answer Question

Asked by ashleypalomba at 9:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 6 (115 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • If he wants to keep his rights and continue paying child support then that is his prerogative. If he doesn't want to pay or have visitation then yeah he should sign over his rights.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • He can NOT just sign over his rights because he doesn't want to be a parent. It doesn't work that way. There has to be SEVERE abuse of the child or someone to adopt the child (step parent or grand parent for example). If parental rights are terminiated, you get NO child support and if the father or parent wins the lottery you get NOTHING. Terminating parental rights isn't an easy thing to do. I know, I tried after my son's father ignored him for 2 years. It was denied but I did get to watch the judge give that "man" a lecture that I will never forget.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • maybe it's different in different states, but if a father doesn't want to be a parent they can absolutely terminate their parental rights. The bummer is no support, but if he isn't consistent with his support or he doesn't want to pay support and is inconsistent with visitation is it even worth it? Then again if you try to push him to terminate his rights he may get angry and or more involved.

    Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • I didn't say can he get his rights terminated I was asking if you think they should sign their rights over. if they don't want to be a parent, why should the child be subjected to having a bad father who doesn't want to be in their life? A child doesn't deserve that.

    Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • he is probably refusing because its something you want..he doesnt want you to be happy. signing his rights over would mean, your current dh or SO could become your childs new father and he knows you would love for that to happen. ..he would do anything to keep you unhappy. I'm only guessing you are in a relationship. If you werent hed probably do it in a jiffy so he would never have to worry about child support or anything. i tossed the same opportunity at my ex once. He NEVER sees my son. i told him he could sign his rights over so that my dh could be my son's father. His response was "he will never call anyone dad but me." son calls my dh dad without the papers. my ex still never see his child..i went after his ass for child support though. i gave him the chance to give up and he didnt take it. he wanted to be a daddy so he can pretend to be one all he wants.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • They are his parental rights and there is no reason to force him to sign them over. Rights or no rights he will still be the father of your child and some piece of paper won't make that any different.

    Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • Shay you are exactly right. I am married and my husband wants to adopt my son, yes the bio dad may be the bio dad. But I do not consider him a dad, never sees his child, never calls his child. My son calls my husband daddy and he definatly deserves the title. He provides for my son, is there at his bedside when he is sick he does everything a father should do. bio dad gets mad that he calls my husband daddy. Well thats not my fault. if your not involved in your childs life, then you don't deserve the title of dad. Any man can create a child but it takes a real man to be a daddy. He may be his legal bio dad, by birth but he is definatly not his daddy.

    Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • If he signed the BC you're screwed for life, if not, just tell him its not his kid and move lol. My sons father has never even met him, left me when I told him I was pregnant. If he ever shows up anywhere near my son and tries to be a dad, I will tell him thats not his child and if hes persistant he will get stabbed.

    Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • After my son was born he said it wasn't his baby and that my son was my cousins. bio dad is a very sick sick individual.

    Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • it actually varies from state to state. some states have "abandonment laws" where if the father isn't around for a certain period of time, not paying child support, and unable to get a hold of, his rights will be terminated (same thing as signing them over, he's just not there to have a say so)

    in other states (like mine) there is no such thing and a bio-father can't just go up to a judge and ask to sign his rights away. they don't get a free pass here. they will pay child support whether they like it or not and if they want to see their kid that's an added bonus for them. the only way to get out of being a father here is if someone is willing to adopt the child, in which case bio-father has to sign rights over (or TERMINATE them, same thing) or bio-dad is deemed abusive.

    Answer by tnm786 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.