The seven deadly "acts"

I changed sins to acts in a effort to be inclusive and so that we do not derail the convo by defining sin.

Which of the seven do you consider to be the most harmful and why?
Do you think there is something that should be included that is not?
Do you think the idea of these acts being harmful cuts across all paths?
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

I pulled this modernized list from Wikipedia- I know they are worded differently in different places-

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly think pride is an underlying factor in all of the others... If you think about it, anyway...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• for me, sloth seems to be the only one that isn't directly related to the others. the other 6 are kinda intertwined, if you think about it.

pride would be most harmful, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think greed actally causes all the other acts.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My pick for the worst is wrath but there really isn't anything wrong with any of them if they are channeled correctly.   It's when they become excessive or obsessive that problems begin.  

We have all experienced every single one of them to one degree or another, and to deny them would be to deny our humanity.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• In Buddhism, there are FIVE HINDRANCES (i.e. obstacles to enlightenment), but they don't really have a list of 'deadly sins' since the concept of 'sin' (i.e. a 'transgression' against god or gods) isn't really taught in Buddhism. I think these are similar concepts in some ways though. I guess restlessness (worry or anxiety) would be one that is different as well as doubt, but I think the others are comparable to lust, wrath, and sloth.

1. Sensual desire (kamacchanda): Craving for pleasure to the senses.
    2. Anger or ill will (byapada, vyapada): Feelings of malice directed toward others.
    3. Sloth torpor or boredom (thina middha): Half hearted action with little or no concentration.
    4. Restlessness worry (uddhacca kukkucca): The inability to calm the mind.
    5. Doubt (vicikiccha): Lack of conviction or trust.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Hmm...my first instinct is to say greed is probably the worse. I think it's destroying our society.

The idea of greed (and maybe greed combined with pride) is somewhat similar to the idea of attachment in Buddhism (greed, 'clinging', desire are words often used as well). So, if pride is similar to the idea of delusion of self...a self-centered isolation, thinking only of ourselves and not realizing our interconnectedness to other living things and all of Nature and the Universe itself, then maybe pride is actually the worst. And that pride can lead to greed, etc.

I think some these ideas or at least similar concepts are common in other traditions too. I think my son is stirring, so I'll come back later if I think of anything to add to the list though.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Greed!!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Definitely Pride. A person that is too proud doesn't have eyes or ears for other people. When you damage their ego, they will most likely damage your face. lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• To those who say pride: Anything, when done in excess is bad, so how is pride the worst? And if you said pride, are you religious?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• cont'd

In Buddhism, delusion (ignorance) is the source of all suffering or afflictions, as well as desire or craving. Greed, anger, doubt, wrong view, fear, frustration, sadness, etc all stem from delusion, desire and attachment. If we realize that nothing is permanent and there is no 'self' as all things are interconnected in the Universe then we can overcome some of these obstacles and take a path that leads to the cessation of suffering.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2011