After eating for 2 for 9 months....?

I'm learning about pregnancy, married life, motherhood, etc. from some of the comments and concerns you mommies have. Hopefully when I get married and decide to have a baby I'll be knowledgeable about things the books and mags don't tell you.

I'm wondering, after eating for 2 for so long, do you continue eating the same amounts after you give birth?

If you are not breastfeeding, does your body want the amounts of food that you ate before pregnancy?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It's not much "eating for two" as it is trying to eat all the calories you need (and are craving) to grow a baby! It takes A LOT. Your calorie intake needs to be more after you have a baby too, to keep up with producing milk - luckily when you breastfeed, it burns a lot of those calories too!
    If your not breastfeeding, your body will crave the calories for a little while, until your milk is finished.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well i think you are only supposed to add around 300 calories or so to be "eating for two" not eating double the meals. i don't think it usually happens that way lol but you are also supposed to eat snacks every time you BF so you keep your energy and nutrition up also
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I ate for two for a while after the birth of my baby. But I still was fat and I hated it! So I learned self control. Lol!
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 9:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Just in my experience, after I have a baby, my appetite drops off MAJORLY. I don't know if it is the drop off in hormones or what, but I have to FORCE myself to eat anything. I am hoping that is true this time as well, considering I have gained 70lbs this pregnancy with a month to go. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never ate for two while pregnant.... I had my cravings for sure but I didn't eat double of everything! That's just a saying people use to be funny I guess. After I had my son I nursed and for the first 6 weeks I hardly ate. I was just too tired and busy to worry about eating, Once I came back to work my appetite was back to normal. They say you can eat 300 extra calories while pregnant and 300-500 extra while nursing. I didn't need to do either. Some women need to to gain the extra weight.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never "ate for two". You only need an extra 300 calories a day during the second and third trimesters. I couldn't even stomach that much. I had no appetite for the first 30 weeks. However, while I was breastfeeding, I had a VORACIOUS appetite, and gained 30 lbs. That sucked!! I really hope that doesn't happen next time around!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• "Eating for two" is just an excuse to go crazy. I'm talking about the women who scarf down ice cream and stuff every night because they "can." I never ate for two, I just ate healthy.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think it's different for everyone. I'm pregnant now and my body does not want to eat for 2! I get so full so fast and it makes me so misriable I have to force myself to eat. Eating for two is really a myth but listen to your body. It'll tell you what you need. i eat what sounds good to me when I'm hungry and I know only to eat small portions because of how full i get. I'm sure it's a problem most mommies would like to have
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 2:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2011