Those of you with a lot of siblings...how did your parents arrange your bedrooms growing up?

We did not have a lot growing up. We always had enough, don't get me wrong, and I think it taught me to respect what we had, but we didn't have a lot of extras.

I had 7 brothers and 2 sisters. We had a 4 bedroom house and we girls shared one, the adults had one, and the boys shared the other two.

Sure we had times where we felt cramped, but my parents made what we had work and I would say we were FAR from abused. Now it seems like if you had 3 or 4 kids in a room, you would be looking at a CPS case!

I just wonder how large families do it now. We are expecting our 3rd daughter next month, and we have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house...we have one room, our two daughters share another, and the third room is a toy room. I would like to keep the toy room and have the three girls together when the baby is old enough to join them (we co-sleep for about the first year).

btw...it may not even make it to that point, because we are doing some serious house hunting right now.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I lived in the home there was 6 of us. Now there are 8 all together. When I lived there the 3 boys shared a room and then us three gilrs shared a room. When i got to be a teenager I got my own room.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• For a long time all of our kids shared the same room.  They are 5, 4, and 1.  My 5 year old is the boy, other 2 are girls.  With my oldest starting school this year and them just all around taking better care of their things we decided to give the girls a room and the boys a room.  Another boy is due anytime, that's why I said "the boys".  They have a bunk bed set a piece, one of the ones that goes into 2 seperate twin beds.  So that's how I have their rooms set up.  They are exactly the same.  They each have one table with storage set underneath it.  Storage in the closet.  2 rugs, a table and chairs set, and a toy box.  Girls room done in butterflies, boys room done in sports.  I must be on a caffeine kick, that was a lot of info, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• As for my own, I only had one sister, ten years older.  We had bunk beds and shared a room.  We had one dresser and the closet.  I know, I know, I haven't even really been able to answer your question, blame the caffeine, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I grew up in a family of 5 kids - we all had our own bedrooms. I have 5 kids - everyone has their own bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is very small, built as an office with no closet but at least he has his own space, which was my goal.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I am the oldest of 7, 2 brothers and 4 sisters. In the last house we all lived in before I moved out it was about 3 and a half bedrooms. (the one in the basement wasn't quite finished). My brothers shared a room, my parents had a room, I got my own room and my sisters all shared a room BUT about 99% 2 or more of them came and slept with me at night, Usually the youngest two because my mom worked from home and I would help her with them while she was working and my 2 baby sisters usually fell asleep with me so it sort of stuck. One of my brothers finished a second room in the basement so now they are: my parents room, the older two girls in one room, the younger two in another room and my brothers each have their own room. (I'm the only one moved out :) )
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• So do y'all think I would go straight to hell for putting my three girls together and keeping a toy room since I really could clear out the toy room and make it a bedroom?

I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself considering the baby isn't here yet, she will sleep with us for the first year anyway, and if we find something we like, we might be moving to a bigger house anyway! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My two sisters and I shared a room at my dad's up until I was 16 or 17. We were only ever there part-time, so even though they have a four bedroom house, they liked having a guest room and an office/storage space. For the most part, I liked sharing a room with my sisters!

My middle sister and I shared a bunk bed on the right side of the room, and my youngest sister had a bed on the left side. It wasn't exactly a big room, so the beds definitely took up most of the space.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i only have 2 siblings but my sister and i shared a room until my parents had the money to have 2 extra rooms built on to our house. then my sister got the smaller room and my brother and i got the new rooms, they were right beside each other. jmo, i hated sharing a room with my sister
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong.  We aren't planning on having any more but decided if by chance it DOES happen, we are switching the beds to bunkbeds and then buying another set of bunkbeds for whichever room the new baby would go in.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Me and my 2 sisters shared a room. My 3 girls share a room and my 2 boys share a room.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2011