What do you do with your childs support money? adult content

My husband and I make plenty of money so my son is very well taken care of and wants for nothing, so I opened a bank account for him, I put his child support in the bank to save it for when he turns 18 so if he wants to buy a car or go to college he can. Some people have criticized me for that, but its not like the money is not going towards him, there are some bio moms that use the support on themselves, now that I think is wrong.

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL Child support? Oh - that money I'm supposed to be getting! Yeah, he's 20K behind. I can't put money in my oldest's name because he's special needs and if he amassed more than 2K he'd lose benefits to Medicaid (that covers his therapies) and many other programs. If I ever get child support it will be used for my kids extracurricular activities, clothes, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• everyone does what is right for their family with the money some save it some need it to help support the child.....either way is fine...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Only reason why I save it, and put it in the bank for when he gets older is because I have no use for it. My husband and I buy everything my son needs.
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well my dh ex uses it to live on period. She refuses to get a job and tell my sd if she works she will have no time for her. My sd is in school all day. (she's also getting support which will run out at some point). The money should be used for my sd not for her mother to spend on herself. You are doing right by your child!
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• sounds ok. as long as its for him. hell need it later for school. if its ok with your ex then i should be fine.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 10:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't tell my ex what I do with the money, its really not his business to okay it, his sons entitled to it.
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think that it's a wonderful idea! If you don't have a financial need to use the support money at this time, you're saving it for him! You could be just putting it in your account but you're planning ahead for things he'll need in the future. Not many mom's are in your financial position so many may not be able to relate to what you're doing. Personally, I think it's a great thing to do!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 10:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think if you have the ability to do that - Awesome! Your child will be set for his future...
    It's better than getting YOUR hair or nails done with it... haha
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011