Does a grandparent have rights to see their grandchild if the baby's with its mother but the mother is not denying for the grandparent to see the child but the mother told the grandparent to come to her house to see the child because the grandparent has a bad history of abusing her own kids and has a condition mentally but doesn't go to the doctor because the grandparent thinks she's normal when she is bipolar In NEW JERSEY?

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes! Grandparent rights seriously. She can take the mother to court and have visitation granted. Tell her to look into it!!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No, they do not "have the right" to see a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I know they di because my friend wasn't allowing her kids to visit her mother due to a fight my friend and her mother had. Her mother and father went to court and now have visitation rights 1 weekend a month. Yes, they have the right as long as they are fit and not crazy.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Do* not di
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ummmm YESSSS we do have the RIGHT....if mom will not do it on her own the grandparents can file for regular visitation. So would you rather set your own day or 2 for the grandparents......or have a judge give them? Please do not shut the grandparents out (unless they are harming the child).....we are an essential part of their life - - - we may have raised the son but not all his faults can come back on us.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Actually, it depends on the State. Some States allow grandparent rights, though usually there has to be some sort of mitigating factor (like, for example, the grandparents can show that they helped provide care for the grandchild because they - either with our without the parent - lived with the grandparent, the grandparent had provided child care, etc.).

Other States, no, they do not have the right.

Frankly, while I am a firm believer in the importance of a good relationship between a child and their grandparent, I also believe that it is up to the parent to decide who their child is around. It's been my experience that if the parent doesn't want the grandparent involved, then usually the grandparent either crossed a line (tried to "be the parent"), or had a crappy relationship with their child to begin with (often stemming from how they - grandparents - raised the now parent...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't understand the question I guess.  In many states grandparents have legal rights to see their grandchild(ren).  What I don't understand is why make waves if there are none.  If the mother of the child isn't denying the grandparents seeing the grandchild(ren) then why put up a stinker that could possibly end on very bad terms.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• cont

Another mitigating circumstance that can come into play is, say, the parents are separated or divorced and the child had had a good relationship with the grandparents prior to the divorce. Then, SOMETIMES, but NOT always, the grandparents can try to get visitation, however, again, from what I've seen, that doesn't give them "free reign" to ignore the parents wishes as far as diet, discipline, etc goes.

(btw - my mil has a friend whose dd got into drugs, etc. She - friend - took care of her grandkids often. Long story short, one of the kids ended up dying in the mother's care. Remaining kids now live with the dad they hadn't seen in yrs. Grandparents were told by family court and private lawyer they have NO rights, and cannot insist on visitation. This is in CA, and has been within a few yrs. Oh, and grandparents not deemed unfit, they got custody of the baby that doesn't share the same dad...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not in Arkansas.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If the mother is NOT denying the grandparent to see the child then no, why should they have rights? If you are allowing them to come see your child or even better that you are taking the child to see them, why in the world would have have a right to any more? My MIL is one who thought as a grandparent she should have rights to tell us how to raise our children. If this is the kind of right you are talking about (wanting to be an active role in the decision making) then NO, this is not where grandparents belong.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011