How can I make my baby more idependent?

My 22 month old daughter is SUPER clingy. Any suggestions on how I can push her to be more independent without making her feel rejected? I just don't think it's good for her not to get down and run and play like most other toddlers...

MrsBer

Asked by MrsBer at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she around other toddlers a lot? My friend had this problem but then after she brought her little one over to our house a few times, she got out of being clingy and started running and playing with my kids. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• She doesn't do it when there's other kids around, but 99% of the time we're home by ourselves. As soon as it's just us she snaps right back into it.
    MrsBer

Comment by MrsBer (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Maybe finding her new and fun things to do would help? 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• With my daughter I was always "there" for her.. We didnt CIO.. I held her when she needed.. and she has always been independent. I never forced her to do anything she was not comfortable with.. I felt if my dd knew she was in a safe enviroment & Id be right there she would worry more about learning/exploring than looking for her "safe" place.

Get down & play with her. or "play" without her & maybe she will want to join. lol :)
    Good luck.. all kids are different & will do things at different ages. maybe she just need a lil more time.. Just always let her feel safe & she will learn :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My 2 yo was like that until very recently. I would get him interested in playing with something, then I would sit next to him but be doing something else. Gradually I moved further away and then I got to where I would leave the room while he was playing, just for a minute, and then come right back. I left for longer and longer periods (down the hall to the laundry room usually!) but now he will sit in his room and play with his train table for 20-30 minutes or more without me. He's 2 and still needs me, but it gives me more time to get stuff done!

Answer by missanc at 10:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never tell her "No, you can't sit in my lap. Go away." I always let her cling because I can't stand the thought of her feeling rejected by me. But at this point, it is to where she screams and cries if try to get up just to go the bathroom or something. She even wants in my lap when I'm on the potty! This has been going on for months now. When we play, she still has to be in my lap. The only time she is content sitting alone is when she's in her high chair eating. I know most kids go through a clingy stage, but this is a little excessive. Thank ya'll for your responses though, I will definitely try them.
    MrsBer

Comment by MrsBer (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my son will play for long periods of time by himself but still tries to sit on my lap when i potty. he is fine if he can look in the other room and see me but otherwise its "wheres mommy?" i have found making him independant by having him do things ie: get his drink out of the fridge himself, put items on the counter at walmart, stir the pancake batter himself, then praising him for a job well done( even if i have to finish or redo when he isnt looking) along with a what a big boy works well.
    treyplus1momma

Answer by treyplus1momma at 7:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• as for telling her no to sitting in your lap or to go away i dont blame you i cant do that either but i can tell him just a minute if im doing something but let him stand beside me as i multitask while reaching down to rub his head etc once in awhile still makes him feel safe enough that he doesnt always have to sit in my lap
    treyplus1momma

Answer by treyplus1momma at 7:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yeah, I do all that, but she throws violent temper tantrums when I tell her to hold on or anything that involves not being on me...I really don't even know how to describe it. I have never seen a baby act like this before...and I've been around A LOT of babies.
    MrsBer

Comment by MrsBer (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My Daughter is 3 and clingy, She goes in every room i go into and it's hard for me to even clean cause she is always there and whineing if i am not paying attention to her...I usually dont have a choice but to tell her she need's to go play while i clean and she get's mad. She never just play's with her toy's she has a bedroom and a play room full of toys and they never get used...I feel it might be because i alway's held her when she was a baby and never put her down except when she was asleep..I was a single parent her first year and half of life so it was easy for me to have her close by she even slept in bed with me...I am trying to show her it's ok to do thing's on her own and she is starting to get it.. I also feel if she had a sibling to interact with she wouldnt be so clingy to me. She just love's to be the center of attention whereever we go she has to sing and get noticed and she feed's of attention people give her.
    littleb2654

Answer by littleb2654 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011