Need advice on how much should I pay my friend who is driving my son to school.

Good morning moms,
My 3 years old goes to preschool every morning, and neither me or my husband can drive him (I don't have a driver's license yet and my husband is leaving for work too early), so my friend, whose daughter goes to the same school, picks up my son every morning and then bring him back after school. The way to school is this straight line, where my friend, driving from her house, stops at my house on the way, and then continues on that straight road, dropping off her daughter and my son in school(my point here is that she doesn't make any circles or doesn't go out of her way). I want to pay her, just because I know she is in a difficult financial situation. But I have never done that yet, I have no idea how much would be right to pay her. I thought $50/week, but then it feels like it's too little... and at the same time, I don't think I can afford much much more than that. What do you ladies think would be the right amount to pay? What would you pay? I told her I'd give her some money today, so your advice would be greatly appreciated ;)
Thank you, moms, for your help.

NataliaWalle

Asked by NataliaWalle at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Well i think $50 a week is a bit since she would be going that way anyhow. Then again, if you took a cab or some other way to get your son do DC, it would cost much more.

Maybe even $25 a week would be good...Or how about offering to watch her dd one or two days a week for a few hours, so maybe she could grocery shop, get her hair done or even run a few errands. That is probably more helpful to her then the money.

I am curious to see the other answers.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Since it's not out of her way in any way, I think $50/week might be insulting, in that she's doing a very small favor for you (although it's extremely helpful.) Why don't you offer to pay for her gas? If you feel that's insufficient, how about offering her a couple hours of babysitting a month, so she can run errands unencumbered by kids?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• $50 is too much you'll be paying $200 a month and $2,000 in 10 months.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 50$ is no than enough and if you want to offer more, then offer to babysit her dd when she needs a helping hand
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I forgot to mention that I help her other daughter (first grade) with homework and doing some tutoring for her, and mostly we're working on her reading because her reading is very bad. It's only one day a week though, so I also felt guilty about that. We help each other very much, she drives my son to school, and every once in a while, if I need to go somewhere, she drives me. She has been a great help to me and a quite a blessing to have a friend like her. And I help her too, for ex., her english is very bad (she's russian), so I go with her everywhere (dr. appointments, etc.) being as her interpreter. I make phone calls for her to pay bill or any other things that need to be taken care of. I don't mind it at all, too. But she really needs money, and I feel like I have to pay her, so that's why I'm at a little conflict here....
    NataliaWalle

Comment by NataliaWalle (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I did that when my girls were little another mom was driving by my house every morning to drop her kids off so I had her stop quik to pick up mine on the way to school. she refused to take money though because she would still be driving past my house either way. so I gave her 4 tickets to the Harlem Globetrotters to pay her back so to speak. ( I didn't own a car at the time so she was a huge help)

$50 is a little to much she is not going out of her way it sounds like and the way it sounds you both are helping eachother very much and you should just ask her if she would like a little cash to help her out and she will tell you I am sure.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If you are able to afford the $50, go for it. When the tutoring, interpreting, etc maybe $40, or once in awhile take her (or let her drive ya'll to a girl's night out that you spring for??

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• well if your helping each other...it's more like you ladies are on a "friends" level.
    Friends do things to help each other out and that is what your doing.

I really don't think you should pay her.

I understand she needs the money...but I think your more then already paying her back.

Good Luck
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011