Does anyone have cold remedies for infants?

My baby is 5 months old and has had a cough and cold off and on for almost a month now. I thought that breast feeding would prevent this! My pediatritian refuses to prescribe anything and recommends saline drops and a humidifer (which isn't helping). Does anyone have any home remedies? I'm open to suggestions.

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• first of all i'd have to say breastfeeding doesn't guarantee your child is going to be "sick-free" and not get a little sniffle here or there specially since the weather is changing and if your in an area where it gets snow and stuff, i'm assuming the temperature has been going down and there are just many factors to factor in... if other kids are in the house and go to school or a daycare, uhm if you take the baby out a lot...

however my suggestion would be baby vicks rub, suction the nose out as needed, give baby a nice warm bath, that use to help clear up my daughter, and really just make sure you are giving your child lots of loving! and i wouldn't switch doctors just because your baby has had a "cold" for a month... there's honestly not much you can give an infant when sick with cold, ask any doctor!
    anabelsmommy08

Answer by anabelsmommy08 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We used the baby vicks for my granddaughter. Normal saline in her nose, to suction out the yucky stuff and a vaporizer.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• What i do for my baby is put Vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of her feet...that way when she is laying down on her back or whatever and moving the smell is kicked up, and you don't have to worry about it being too much on her chest. it works awsome for me and my baby. i hope your baby gets better very soon.
    allybrggs

Answer by allybrggs at 1:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Humidifier, Vick's vapor rub.

Answer by louise2 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I put eucalyptus in a oil burner and that helps. But usually you have to wait it out.

I would make sure you are eating lots of fresh ripe fruits and large green salads.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• The best thing for babies is to suction their little noses out whenever you see or hear that it is stuffy and running. And it will eventually go away.
    kelleysangels

Answer by kelleysangels at 1:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If baby has had this cold for a month I suggest a NEW baby Dr. Something is wrong for baby to have this cold for that long of a time. SEE a new Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would try a little bit of Baby Tylenol. Just call your doctor and find out the dosage.

*

Frequently Asked Questions Buy Online

Overview & Uses
    When used as directed, Infants' Tylenol provides fast and effective relief of your baby's pain and fever symptoms. Pediatricians have relied on it for more than 40 years.

When it comes to reducing fever or pain in children, the medicine in Infants' Tylenol is pediatricians' first choice.

If your child is age 2 or older, he or she may be ready for Children's Tylenol. Consult our Children's Dosage Guide for help deciding or ask your pediatrician.

Uses
    Temporarily reduces fever.
    Temporarily relieves minor aches and pains due to:

* The common cold and flu.
    * Headache.
    * Sore throat.
    * Toothache.
    Anonymous