What is proper discipline for a 5 year that disrupts his classroom constantly?

Ellison50

Asked by Ellison50 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• TV priviledges taken away, video games...whatevr it is he/she seems to care about the most, take it away from them for a week or until they start behaving.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Get the kid out of the classroom.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• How is stopping his education disciplining him?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• What is the teacher doing to correct the problem?

I would monitor what foods he is eating (red dye 40, yellow 5) and see if that makes a difference.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do not punish my son for disruptive behavior in the classroom. At least for me it depends on the way "disruptive" is defined by the teacher. When my son's teacher e-mails or calls she is not upset or even concerned about some "disruptions" that occur in the class. We work together to assist my child in learning the skills and coping mechanisms to reduceto the behaviors that are undesirable.  So he talks during group and can't sit still.  We came up with some ways to work around this and some tricks for us and him to use.  My husband and I coach him on ways to handle certain common situations and we reherse and role play at home.  I do not need to have consequences piled on him.  If he needs to be removed from a group or a project then the consequence was already addressed.  It doesn't mean I don't talk to him about it at home.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It just means that I don't need to make him think and feel he is a bad kid or that he is always in trouble. Now if he hit another kid or had some other incident similar to that level.....of course we would exercise some sort of consequence. I offer the teacher suggestions and trust her to handle situations that come up in the class. In other words, I trust she is a professional and is capable of doing her job. I am a partner with the teacher and a parent to my child. Which means I use discretion and look at each situation as it comes up. I don't feel the need to employee punishment for every little thing that comes up.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

Well I'm telling you the technique that teachers use. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:28 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Diet can have a profound effect on behavior... Decrease sugar remove artificial dyes & sweeteners
    also maybe take away tv or video game time if that doesn't help.
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my son is in kindergarten and WAS the class clown. teacher and I came up with a chart where she would give him colors.
    Red circle is nothing... all day, no games, TV or computer
    Yellow Circe is .. No games or Computer
    Green is no computer and we talk about what caused him to get the green,
    when he gets a green it is not a huge deal because it usually means some kid egged him on
    Since we have done this the teacher says he is much more serious and my son has earned a video game and while it may be bribing him I call it an award for a job well done. That is what we said, if he had 2 weeks with any colored circles he got any Wii game he wanted then when he got the game I reminded him that any red circles he looses that game for a week
    He is a changed little man!
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Also just wanted to say that the circles are a visual and where he can see his progress, kids this age need more visual clues because they are more likely to forget. You can also do a sticker chart. whichever you choose they do get excited about this and it works better then just a verbal threat because half the time it is in one ear and out the other
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2011