Do you think our school's principal is arrogant?

Here is the letter our school's principal posted on the school website:

http://schools.ccsd.net/oroarke/

Am I the only one who wishes that teachers and administrators would just figure it out? Our families are hurting and we CANNOT afford to pay more for taxes and supplies! They have to sacrifice too! I thought teachers were supposed to teach out of love for their job, not huge salaries and benefits!

They are whining here about a 10% pay cut. My husband is unemployed and took a 100% pay cut. Boo hoo hoo!

Am I the only one who wants to send an email telling her to buck up?

BTW - I looked up my kid's teacher's salary on the county website. $47,000! For what? Would anyone join in a letter writing campaign telling the government that you would ENJOY seeing education cut so maybe lazy teachers would get out and only the ones who truly care would be left behind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, I would want that principal fired.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Wow! What an asshole!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Wow he is right!!!

She is pointing out the facts.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, honestly I do think that person is arrogant. However my mother is a teacher, in the UK not US but big cuts are happening too, and I know she spend a quarter of her salary every year supplementing the children's learning and making sure they all achieve the highest levels possible. The cuts that are coming to that sector mean she literally will not have money to pay her mortgage if she keeps spending money out of her own pocket because she cares about these children. She's been a teacher for 30 years and has been fully dedicated.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think she's lived off of taxpayer dollars for so long, she no longer sees chronic debt as a problem. Or at least did up until now. LOL
    I think looking internally to reduce costs, rather than looking for more money would be a better solution. The government is broke, local and state and federal, she evidently is not understanding this " new " concept.
    No sympathy for her, or for my school system either.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The principal is merely pointing out facts! Is that a crime worthy of being fired?

Also, the idea that teachers should work out of love of their job is ludicrous! Last I checked the mortgage company, the electric company, and the IRS do not accept love as a a form of payment!

I think the attitude of "I'm hurting so everyone else should hurt" is really what is causing our current debate. I saw a report on TV saying that teacher morale is the lowest its been in 20 years. Its because of people like you and your selfish mentality!
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Honestly, I read it and no I don't. I think most schools are being hit hard with lack of funding. I don't think parents realize just how much books cost (over $100 each for some text books) or how much schools pay for those notes and newsletters that line a child's backpack for months and then are tossed away. Most teachers do go into this line of work because the love it. Many teachers are also looking at that same income cut that your family is - as class sizes go up teachers loose their jobs. Parents who have that "$47,000! For what?" attitude just don't understand how much goes into being a teacher. Summers are spent preparing for next year (and often working a second job), weekends are spent doing lesson plans or catching up on grading papers, or trying to get communication ready for parents. Teachers spend their own money for supplies when parents won't so no child goes without. Thank them, don't hate them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The complaints about how/why the budget was being cut were unnecessary, but the rest of the information was not. There are a lot of reasons for a school to go paperless, and there was no reason to try and guilt people about why it's happening - just tell them they're going paperless and here's what parents need to do to stay in the loop.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• In a matter of wording.....I think she could have wrote this a bit better. Not exactly sugar coat it, but be a tad more professional. After all, she may not be a superintendent or anything such as that, but essentially she is a supervisor to these teachers. This letter showed that she lacks professionalism. I think she needs to address her staff and not send out a big letter rallying up parents, when she may not have even discussed issues of funding with the staff FIRST. I do agree that she needs to notify parents of major issues within the school district, but this may not be the best way of doing it.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some parents need to understand that teachers can't do it all on the low amount of funds the DoE gives out and some teachers need to understand that some parents can't afford to send hundreds of dollars worth of extra supplies a month as well! Times are rough all over and the only way we're going to be able to make this work is to get over the "me me me" 's
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2011